The Student Room Group

Unusual sitch, pls help :/

So basically I'm 17 years old. And I haven't done my GCSEs. I'm behind 2 years because I was taken out of school due to family matters and moving around a lot, including moving abroad for a year and a half (last year till now)
I have finally done year 10 so now I just need to do year 11. But obviously this is a problem cos of my age.
I have contacted a few local colleges and sixth forms to see if I can get a place.
I've heard of some colleges doing GCSEs.
I'm not sure if I'd have to pay to do them? Is there anyway I can do it for free?
One sixth form said that I can do a Level 2 course with resit GCSEs but only in English and Maths.
Can I even do resits if I haven't even done any of the actual GCSEs???
Is anyone or has anyone been in the same situation as me?
I really need advice /help on what to do. Is there any alternative solutions?

Thanks !!! :frown:
Reply 1
Anyone?? :s-smilie:
I don't know how to help you but I'm surprised no one has replied but I'll say this I hope the best for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tiredgirl
So basically I'm 17 years old. And I haven't done my GCSEs. I'm behind 2 years because I was taken out of school due to family matters and moving around a lot, including moving abroad for a year and a half (last year till now)
I have finally done year 10 so now I just need to do year 11. But obviously this is a problem cos of my age.
I have contacted a few local colleges and sixth forms to see if I can get a place.
I've heard of some colleges doing GCSEs.
I'm not sure if I'd have to pay to do them? Is there anyway I can do it for free?
One sixth form said that I can do a Level 2 course with resit GCSEs but only in English and Maths.
Can I even do resits if I haven't even done any of the actual GCSEs???
Is anyone or has anyone been in the same situation as me?
I really need advice /help on what to do. Is there any alternative solutions?

Thanks !!! :frown:

You have to pay colleges for any individual course you choose to do. There's no way you can do it for free unless you go to a school or sixth form.

Yes, you can resit your GCSE without having a GCSEs in those subjects. It's just like doing GCSEs for the first time really.

Unfortunately, I don't have any alternative solutions other than you could study them independently - i.e. at home and perhaps get a few private tutors but this might be too expensive for you.
Anyone?? :s-smilie:

I really sorry about your situation however one upside is that colleges ALWAYS pay for you english language/literature and maths exams no matter what.

With you nearly being 19 this could be a huge problem.
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your situation. Because of the nature of your issue, have you not been in contact with support, either governmental or your local council? Perhaps, social services? Due to such a delay in your education, I would've thought someone would be supporting you through this. I've got a friend who has suffered family problems too, and his social/youth worker sorted out his GCSEs for him, and I don't think he had to pay to sit them. Maybe look into contacting some local services that can help you with this.
Best of luck.
Reply 6
Original post by Mrs.Grey
I don't know how to help you but I'm surprised no one has replied but I'll say this I hope the best for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah its a pretty strange and problematic situation but thank you
Reply 7
Original post by MemoryMind
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your situation. Because of the nature of your issue, have you not been in contact with support, either governmental or your local council? Perhaps, social services? Due to such a delay in your education, I would've thought someone would be supporting you through this. I've got a friend who has suffered family problems too, and his social/youth worker sorted out his GCSEs for him, and I don't think he had to pay to sit them. Maybe look into contacting some local services that can help you with this.
Best of luck.

No I haven't got any support at all unfortunately, but yeah maybe I should contact social services idk...
If you don't mind, how old was your friend when he did his GCSEs?
Anyway thank you so much
Reply 8
Original post by Maths is Life
I really sorry about your situation however one upside is that colleges ALWAYS pay for you english language/literature and maths exams no matter what.

With you nearly being 19 this could be a huge problem.

Yeah true but then I'll only have 2 GCSEs instead of the standard 7 /8 minimum? ?
Oh well at least 2 is better than none!
Thank you anyways
Reply 9
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
You have to pay colleges for any individual course you choose to do. There's no way you can do it for free unless you go to a school or sixth form.

Yes, you can resit your GCSE without having a GCSEs in those subjects. It's just like doing GCSEs for the first time really.

Unfortunately, I don't have any alternative solutions other than you could study them independently - i.e. at home and perhaps get a few private tutors but this might be too expensive for you.

I'm not sure about resits at all, but I thought that doing resists you just have a few lessons usually extra-curricular then take the exam a few months after ? I don't know tbh
I did consider private tutoring but yeah the price and also I'd much rather actually go to an educational institute and interact etc.
Anyway thank you so much
I read this as unusual stitch
Couldn't you appeal at your local council to pay for your exam entries because it isn't your fault you couldn't take them on time?
Yeah true but then I'll only have 2 GCSEs instead of the standard 7 /8 minimum? ?
Oh well at least 2 is better than none!
Thank you anyways

No don't give up! Honestly, self teach! Get revision books and learn it. Maybe learn the sciences and do another subject with maths and english lang! So that would be 6 subjects of GCSEs which shouldn't be a problem :smile: honestly don't give up. Self teach if that's the only thing you can do. I self taught most my subjects because my school was slow and underprepared and underperforming. If I can do it then you can!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest