The Student Room Group

2016 A-level Remarks

Scroll to see replies

definitely not - the chances of it changing 20 UMS are vanishingly small.
Original post by Compost

Jesus Christ Idk what happened then
Reply 302
Original post by SabbyCat
I got a B in Eng Lang (WJEC) and a C in Eng Lit (AQA) although I was predicted, and getting, A*s in both all year. My college have told me not to bother asking for remarks as these exam boards are apparently not changing anyone's marks no matter how wrong they've got them?????
That's my chance of applying to Oxford down the pan lol..

its worth a try! i have seen remarks with these exam boards this year be successful!
Remarked AQA unit 4 and unit 5 for biology. Overall went up 8 UMS needed 5 for an A. SUPER HAPPY:smile:
Now can apply to medical school with A*AA
Had an Edexcel AS history module remarked. Was at 318 UMS, needing 320 for an A. Paper came back having gone up 10 UMS
Can now apply to veterinary school this October with AAA which is crucial for resit candidates.
AQA ECON3 went up 16 UMS from an E to a C, and overall from a B to an A. I am absolutely delighted!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Compost

A paper of mine went up 16 . . . And I know of papers that have gone up by 30 before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
A paper of mine went up 16 . . . And I know of papers that have gone up by 30 before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not saying it's impossible, just incredibly unlikely. I probably see the results of 200 re-marks a year and many years none goes up by that much.
Original post by Edminzodo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think marks are much more likely to change in 'subjective subjects' such as English lit, history, business studies etc. than 'objective subjects' such as maths, physics, chemistry etc. where the marking is much more objective and margin for error slim.
Reply 309
Those who've just got their remarks back, how long did they take please?
Got my re-mark back for AQA Physics PHYA5 (Astrophysics option) today. Went up by 8 UMS (3 raw marks) from 110/120 to 118/120, giving me an A* in Physics overall.

Also got AQA Computing COMP3 re-marked, this one went up by 2 raw marks - leaving me 2 UMS (that is, 1 raw mark) off an A* in Computing.

Sent off for both of these last Friday.
I've sent both my Economics papers in for the review since I was 2 marks off an A. My sixth form said it'll take up to 30 days so I'm still waiting to hear back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The exam boards are meant to do them within 30 days. In practice Edexcel and OCR are generally turning them round in well under a week, sometimes within the day, AQA are taking 7-10 days, WJEC are pretty slow and CIE take forever. Don't know about CCEA.
Reply 313
Thanks, I'm waiting on AQA Biology, sent off last Thursday
FOr class Civ, does it give rawmarks or UMS on the sheet
Original post by OddFuturez
FOr class Civ, does it give rawmarks or UMS on the sheet

UMS.
Original post by michelle88222
I've sent both my Economics papers in for the review since I was 2 marks off an A. My sixth form said it'll take up to 30 days so I'm still waiting to hear back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Update! I just got my remark back today it went up by 3 marks so my grade changed from a B to an A 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys. I scored 98.5% in my other three English modules, but in my last one I got 68%. After a remark it went up to 73%. When the script came back my teach still said it had marked unfairly. She then passed it around the department and they all agreed. She's going to get another examiner from another school to look at it, but everyone so far is saying the same thing.

What should I do ?
Original post by OriginalLifelin
Hi guys. I scored 98.5% in my other three English modules, but in my last one I got 68%. After a remark it went up to 73%. When the script came back my teach still said it had marked unfairly. She then passed it around the department and they all agreed. She's going to get another examiner from another school to look at it, but everyone so far is saying the same thing.

What should I do ?

Your teachers will most likely sort it out. There may need to be an appeal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OriginalLifelin

What should I do ?

The chances of anything successful happening are tiny, but only your school (not you) can appeal so you'd need to talk to them about it.

Quick Reply

Latest