The Student Room Group

2016 A-level Remarks

Scroll to see replies

I got a B in Eng Lang (WJEC) and a C in Eng Lit (AQA) although I was predicted, and getting, A*s in both all year. My college have told me not to bother asking for remarks as these exam boards are apparently not changing anyone's marks no matter how wrong they've got them?????
That's my chance of applying to Oxford down the pan lol..
Original post by SabbyCat
I got a B in Eng Lang (WJEC) and a C in Eng Lit (AQA) although I was predicted, and getting, A*s in both all year. My college have told me not to bother asking for remarks as these exam boards are apparently not changing anyone's marks no matter how wrong they've got them?????
That's my chance of applying to Oxford down the pan lol..

yes they are literally not changing any marks given regardless of mistake...

Your last choice is to appeal
Reply 62
Original post by Sammy9898
I was receiving A/A* in F325 for chemistry all year and come results day, I end up getting a D in it. I'm not even sure how I did so badly because I was somewhat confident when I had left the exam hall. I'm getting that remarked. Unlikely it will go to an A but worth a try. :biggrin:

same thing happened with me...
Original post by Windies
yes they are literally not changing any marks given regardless of mistake...

Your last choice is to appeal

Any idea how to do that? I didn't realise there was such a thing separate to asking for a remark.. Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Lularose83
I had to go into clearing and have an offer from Leicester! Luckily they accepted me with a C in chem :/ I just want A*AB, but I doubt all three subjects will go up a grade. :smile:

Oh, what did you need for your firm/insurance? You were so close to A*AB! Leicester is a fantastic uni regardless :smile:
Any idea how to do that? I didn't realise there was such a thing separate to asking for a remark.. Thanks in advance :smile:

It's a long process which may cost you £120 if decision is not overturned.
You have to present evidence / reasons why your script should be given a higher score than originally given by the examiner.

I most definitely will be pursuing this for Edexcel English Literature exam whereby I was only given a low B 86/120, despite scoring 85-90/100 raw (120/120) in class.

Last year AS remarks:
Economics +16 UMS = +10 raw
English Literature +12 UMS = +6 raw
History +10 UMS = +5 raw

I scored AAA this year missing A* in Economics and Lit by 5-7 UMS respectively.
Under last years remark system I'm 95% certain my remarks would have come back with A*'s, under new system the errors by the original examiner would not have been deemed "clear enough" to warrant a change, thus I'm considering the appeal and possibly looking into a legal challenge.
Original post by itsConnor_
Oh, what did you need for your firm/insurance? You were so close to A*AB! Leicester is a fantastic uni regardless :smile:

It was BBB but as I had ABC and A* EPQ the points were the same! I've head good things about it :smile: where are you going?
Last year I had my AQA PSYA4 remarked went up 5 UMS marks.
Thank you so much, might try and go through with this if my college let me.. they haven't even mentioned appealing in the several times I've been in there asking for advice… is there a deadline?
Not being funny but on the sheet at our school it clearly states "Re-mark" and the associated prices. Surely if the examiner "reviews" or whatever it's called's the paper and think marks should be added, they are added?!
Have paid £108 which is a lot of money for what sounds like a glorified clerical re-check.......
Original post by Patrick2810
Not being funny but on the sheet at our school it clearly states "Re-mark" and the associated prices. Surely if the examiner "reviews" or whatever it's called's the paper and think marks should be added, they are added?!
Have paid £108 which is a lot of money for what sounds like a glorified clerical re-check.......

exactly! its so dumb -.- like if theyre just going to count my marks again why are we paying so much!!!! we obviously send it back because we think we deserve more and then now even if the remarker thinks so it doesnt make a difference like its honestly so horrible in my opinion money is just being wasted
I've been disillusioned from thinking that the British education system is in any way outstanding. Grades and exams this year have been a complete joke and very many people aren't getting the grades they deserve, very likely due to illogical behind-the-scenes changes in exam marking. Our education system is regressing quickly and it's only going to get worse in future years unfortunately.
Original post by hopefuldentist10
I've been disillusioned from thinking that the British education system is in any way outstanding. Grades and exams this year have been a complete joke and very many people aren't getting the grades they deserve, very likely due to illogical behind-the-scenes changes in exam marking. Our education system is regressing quickly and it's only going to get worse in future years unfortunately.

But its so horrible because people work so hard and put in so much time and effort just for them to get stricter and stricter! especially in subjective subjects (literature, law etc.) where you're meant to voice your opinion and they just don't bother considering anything different - if it's not in the mark scheme its just considered wrong automatically. It's upsetting.
Sent an email to Edexcel regarding their change to turning remarks into merely just "reviews" and only changing marks if a "clear error has been made by the original marker" - all of which implies that examiners can make errors and mistakes at the expense of student grades as long as those errors aren't "clear" enough.
My son had his remarks come back today and despite the reforms in remarks, he has a good news story that may give some of you some hope.
His edexcelmaths C3 has been upgraded by 9 raw marks 13 UMS which gave him 100 ums and an A* overall. Also his AQA physics pha5a raised by 1 raw 3 ums to also give him A* overall. So for him it was definitely worth the potential cost of the remarks. Which as it turns out we won't have to pay as it was their mistakes. We hoped the maths would go up by the 3 UMS needed but never expected such an increase.
I am a teacher and I've never known such a big increase in a maths subject, but it goes to show that whopping mistakes still happen and it can be worth a shot at a remark especially if your gut feeling coming out of the the exam was that you hadn't dropped many marks and the original grade doesn't tally. Good luck.
Original post by Jayemmbee
My son had his remarks come back today and despite the reforms in remarks, he has a good news story that may give some of you some hope.
His edexcelmaths C3 has been upgraded by 9 raw marks 13 UMS which gave him 100 ums and an A* overall. Also his AQA physics pha5a raised by 1 raw 3 ums to also give him A* overall. So for him it was definitely worth the potential cost of the remarks. Which as it turns out we won't have to pay as it was their mistakes. We hoped the maths would go up by the 3 UMS needed but never expected such an increase.
I am a teacher and I've never known such a big increase in a maths subject, but it goes to show that whopping mistakes still happen and it can be worth a shot at a remark especially if your gut feeling coming out of the the exam was that you hadn't dropped many marks and the original grade doesn't tally. Good luck.

this has given me a little glimmer for hope. Congrats to your son - he must be ecstatic! Thanks so much for this, lots of love x
Original post by Jayemmbee

I hope that marker is fired - the marking in maths is so bloody objective!!
Original post by RiyaAjani
this has given me a little glimmer for hope. Congrats to your son - he must be ecstatic! Thanks so much for this, lots of love x

Yes he is finally happy abeit 5 days late. It now means he will officially withdraw from his offer from Bath and reapply for Cambridge for 2017 as he has 4A*2A. Its been an emotional rollercoaster but worth it. Don't give up all hope it may work out for you too.
Original post by itsConnor_
I hope that marker is fired - the marking in maths is so bloody objective!!

Well you would think so but...it might have been a very inexperienced examiner or a true administrative error. Not sure yet but our school will probably dig a bit deeper as it was such a huge error and there may be others.

It's only possible after you've first tried a re-mark.
Candidates cannot appeal, it has to be done by the head of centre so you would have to persuade your head that your argument is worth the money.

Quick Reply

Latest