The Student Room Group

How can i achieve perfect grades at A2?

I got awful results at AS like very awful, I don't want to retake the year somewhere else, so I have to continue with A2.

I will be doing Biology,History and Maths for A2.

History was my only decent grade but any advice for A2 History will be awesome as I really want an A* in this one.

AS I revised a lot but I have come to the conclusion that I was not revising efficiently, it was all Quanitity over quality. As a result I have got these terrible grades that I deserve.

For maths I will have to retake C1,C2,S1 and S2 will be my applied module for A2. I think I got an awful grade with maths because I prioritized past papers instead of mixed exercise questions. Also I barely did Solomon papers. I actually did focus on understanding the content -.-.

For biology I think I ****ed up big time by doing 2 things:
1. When I got my CGP revision guide, I started to not use my OCR endorsed text book, probably because nothing was going in. So I saw the CGP guide as being better.
2.I did no old spec papers I just practiced using new spec style questions which are harder anyway.

I feel like I have forgotten a lot of AS Biology so **** I am absoloutely ****ed.

I will have so many frees though so I believe that I can get perfect grades.
@SeanFM @Zacken @Student403 advice for maths please
get off tsr
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
get off tsr

Yeah ill be off this place unless it for academic help when holidays/my procrastination ends. I prefer Quora anyway
help
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
get off tsr

This
Original post by SuperHuman98
@SeanFM @Zacken @Student403 advice for maths please

Not sure about @Zacken (although I suspect he's the same), but our advice won't be very helpful because neither of us worked particularly hard for AL maths
I think I got an awful grade with maths because I prioritized past papers instead of mixed exercise questions. Also I barely did Solomon papers. I actually did focus on understanding the content -.-.

hmm past papers are the best way to practice maths and understanding the content is a great thing to do. When you finished a past paper and didnt do as well as you would have hoped what did you do?

There's no point in getting, lets say, a C in a past paper and throwing it away assuming that magically you'll improve next time. Go over the paper, what questions did you get wrong? silly mistake or lack of understanding? are there topics which you constantly lose marks in? if so why not as for some help on here or watch all the videos on examsolutions regarding that topic (or even redo the chapter in the textbook).

Then on the next paper really focus on the questions based on topics you're struggling on, if you get it right this time you'll feel great honestly.

Also don't worry about all these other papers, they are great yes but if you do most of the edexcel papers and actually learn from them you'll greatly improve. In saying that if you're finished the edexcel papers feel free to do papers from other sources as more practice can't hurt. :biggrin:
Reply 8
A-Levl tips
-When you do past papers make sure you happy with what you are getting and look to see an improvement over time. If not revise more and learn from your mistakes.

-Tick off the specification to make sure you've learnt everything and nothing should shock you.

-Try and be able to answer every question on all the past papers.. Aim for 100 so you get higher than if you aimed for like 80 or 90.

-Also once you go through past papers do questions from other papers (Solomon papers etc. Or other exam boards with the same topics) on every topic you learnt for a bit then go back to past papers when you've forgotten the answers.

-Try and do all past papers at least twice.

-Start revising from the beginning and go over what you learn in every lesson

-Go over every topic atleast 3 times

-Keep track of what you get on past papers and make sure you meet your target.

-On your second attempt on the past papers make sure you see an improvement from the first attempt and so on.

-Focus on your weaker subjects when you have got your important subjects to where you want.

-Ask the teacher for extra homework and questions.

-If there is something you don't know ask the teacher straight away, or write it down and ask at the end.

-Treat your mocks like the real thing

-Always do more than is required if you are aiming for the best (which you should be).

-Don't get frustrated if you don't get something, watch YouTube videos on it, ask your teacher then attempt some questions.

-Take your time and do not rush things, make sure you understand everything you are doing.

-it's better to understand how to do something than just know how to do it

Try and understand it and you will remember it easier.

-Never give up

-If you get bored take a break

-Don't neglect subjects

-Always think you will pass, think positively.

-Nothing is impossible, you can get straight As, if x can why can't you? Just work as hard as you need to

-What you put in, is what you get it.

-Make sure you pick right subjects, if you know what you want to do check the entry requirements.

-Find something to motivate you, dream career? Uni? Making parents proud?

-Try and want to revise, it shouldn't be something you have to do.

-Help others out if they need it, it reinforces your memory and maybe they'll help you in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
With maths just make sure you practice from day 1 and if you don't understand something ask tsr or you're teacher, try and understand everything and aim for 100% on past papers if you don't get it then look to see which questions you get wrong, then do questions on that topic from every/any source until it becomes easy and you get it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got awful results at AS like very awful, I don't want to retake the year somewhere else, so I have to continue with A2.

I will be doing Biology,History and Maths for A2.

History was my only decent grade but any advice for A2 History will be awesome as I really want an A* in this one.

AS I revised a lot but I have come to the conclusion that I was not revising efficiently, it was all Quanitity over quality. As a result I have got these terrible grades that I deserve.

For maths I will have to retake C1,C2,S1 and S2 will be my applied module for A2. I think I got an awful grade with maths because I prioritized past papers instead of mixed exercise questions. Also I barely did Solomon papers. I actually did focus on understanding the content -.-.

For biology I think I ****ed up big time by doing 2 things:
1. When I got my CGP revision guide, I started to not use my OCR endorsed text book, probably because nothing was going in. So I saw the CGP guide as being better.
2.I did no old spec papers I just practiced using new spec style questions which are harder anyway.

I feel like I have forgotten a lot of AS Biology so **** I am absoloutely ****ed.

I will have so many frees though so I believe that I can get perfect grades.

You still have 2 weeks before you resume school - use that time to make sure you're comfortable on your AS work and read ahead! Last summer I did most of C3/4 so when I got back to school I could just focus on my applied modules and applications for university etc. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest