Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Psychology personal statement

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Im looking at studying Psychology as a degree at a russel group university and i need to start my personal statement ASAP as its for 2017 applications. However i have very little to write about other than part time work and ambitions, is there anything I can do last minute or a way i can word it to make it strong?

I think the key is to convey why you want to study Psychology for another 3 (4?) years. I don't know about the overall success rate of the technique, but I got five offers (Biology) from a range of universities (I think 3 were Russel Groups) and my personal statement was written in a storytelling type way. Rather than following the set pattern of why I like the subject, why I studied those A-Levels, what work experience I have, what extra-curriculars I've done and what I want to do in the future (90% of personal statements I've read look exactly the same), I wrote about two main interests I have (Drawing and Biology) and used them to support each other and my development as a person. My relevant extra-curriculars and work experience where either all ready in my application, or my tutor mentioned them in my reference.

I like the idea of story telling, I think it makes it more fluent and organised which is more than can be said of some examples I've read, so I will definitely take that into consideration when writing mine, thanks a lot.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.