Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

May retake GCSEs due to extenuating circumstances

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Due to extenuating circumstances (mainly deteriorating health and hospitalisation), I missed out on the opportunity of completing Year 11 in secondary school and therefore missed my GCSE's/iGCSE's.

I had asked the school I attended for help with sitting them the first time but they told me that there was nothing they could do. I wrote to my MP about the issue I was facing but no matter what the MP said, the school I attended didn't help me at all.

Once I was discharged from hospital, about a year and a half later, and I had collected enough money, I sat a few examinations at the age of 18. I had a minimal amount of money so I couldn't pay for any help such as tuition. Being an A* student in school and being recognised as gifted since I was a child, I thought it would be easy to self-teach the content. In my results, I achieved an A in English Language and Literature, and a B in Biology. However, I didn't do so well in the rest of the examinations I took.

I'm currently waiting for enrolment day to discuss leniency regarding entry requirements for the A Levels I wish to take (Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Maths/Psychology) with the college I want to attend (BMETC/Matthew Boulton Campus). I'm adamant on studying A Levels and I know I am capable of achieving amazing grades, but of course, the ill health I experienced affected my plan of going to college straight away.

In all honesty, I despise playing the victim but I feel as if I have no choice. I didn't want this unfortunate turn of events to occur and I do believe that the only reason why I didn't achieve the grades I should have (predicted A*s and A's) is because I fell ill during the most important time of my teenage years.

I have a couple of options, one of them being retaking the iGCSE/GCSE's that I failed in as soon as possible and paying for extra tuition - I'll even work if its the only way to pay for help that I require. I am going to be turning 19 in the upcoming February and I don't wish to waste another year.

My questions are:

Would I be able to enrol in college in the academic year of 2017-19 after I resit the iGCSE/GCSE's and receive the results (which will be both in December and March).

Does anyone know of any private examination centres in the West Midlands (closer to the Bullring town centre as I can only travel on the bus), preferably cheap ones?

Will the college be lenient on the basis of ill health?

Has anyone ever heard of one studying an A Level and then when receiving the desired requirements, studying the other A Levels alongside? What I mean is studying Biology A Level for now, and then when I receive my results, studying the other A Levels too.

I will update on any further queries I may have.

Thank you for any responses in advance.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.