The Student Room Group

Is 5As at higher + 3 advanced enough to apply for top English universities?

Is it worth it? Or do most people applying for places like Oxbridge/Imperial nowadays have 6 or 7 highers by the end of S5 and are doing 4 advanced? (I ask because there are a few people in my year who are doing 4 advanced and have done 6-7 highers, but I'm not sure if it's as 'normal' looking at Scotland as a whole).

Thanks in advance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by myca14
Is it worth it? Or do most people applying for places like Imperial nowadays have 6 or 7 highers by the end of S5 and are doing 4 advanced?

Yes. No point in doing any more than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Just make sure you choose good subjects at Advanced Higher and you're good to go. Also, you PS needs to be cracking. That is more important than an extra Advanced Higher.
Original post by gwagon
Just make sure you choose good subjects at Advanced Higher and you're good to go. Also, you PS needs to be cracking. That is more important than an extra Advanced Higher.

This^

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did 7 Highers, it wasn't worth the effort because Oxford and Cambridge do interviews which kicked my introverted ass. Most people who got in from our school in previous years did 5 Highers, I only did 7 because being book-smart is the only thing I'm good at.
Reply 5
Just do 5+3 and aim for A1/2s, then again Oxbridge/imperial will interview so your grades probably wont matter at that point.

Doing 7 highers and 4 AH won't guarantee anything at these unis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Herossaumure
I did 7 Highers, it wasn't worth the effort because Oxford and Cambridge do interviews which kicked my introverted ass. Most people who got in from our school in previous years did 5 Highers, I only did 7 because being book-smart is the only thing I'm good at.

Where did you go in the end? I'm sure you got into another good uni? :smile:
Original post by Yammy
Where did you go in the end? I'm sure you got into another good uni? :smile:

I got into Edinburgh, which is one of the only unis that didn't interview for Medicine. I think they're gonna do interviews starting this year though, so I dodged a bullet on that .
Reply 8
Original post by Herossaumure
I got into Edinburgh, which is one of the only unis that didn't interview for Medicine. I think they're gonna do interviews starting this year though, so I dodged a bullet on that .

...We are going to the same place then :smile: (for the same course)

But yeah I dodged that interview too, not sure if Edinburgh are starting it this year but they are planning it sometime...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest