Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

To all life science students

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

On average how many hours do you spend revising every day?

I spend an hour or so making lecture notes each day. I'm really fussy about my lecture notes and I like them to look nice so I spend a lot longer making them than my other friends. After uni and that I usually have part of the afternoon and the evening free to to whatever I want.

If I have coursework to do I like to do it all at once as soon as I get it. During this time I forget about my lecture notes and I'll spend 6ish hours completing that over one or two days (but it varies a lot. We had a big essay to do last year and I ignored that during the week and I'd try to do a few hours on that each weekend, and I've had coursework I've done in an hour). At my university we usually have two courses a term and each course has two or three bits of coursework so I'll only have that to do every few weeks.

I don't actually revise until we have finished all the lectures for the term and we're on holiday, which is usually a month or so before the exams. When I'm revising properly I tend to get up early and work in the morning and afternoon (with a Netflix procrastion break at lunch), then leave it for the evening. I try to give myself weekends off as well unless I'm really struggling to learn something.

It's always worked for me, but I know people who just can't learn the content unless they do a little bit a day and spread it out. If you were asking this because you were wondering how much you 'should' do then take these answers as suggestions. Everyone is different and I find it really easy to remember things in the short-term so I don't need to worry about revising too early because I'll just forget it, but other people find it harder to remember things so they need to start earlier.

(This is what I did in my second year and it worked really well for me, my first year was a bit more chaotic!)

Thank you for making that post! Very good advice

(Original post by 1lastchance)
    On average how many hours do you spend revising every day?
    During the bigger exam periods, you can spend hours reading journals especially during 3rd year.

Biology HAD A LOT OF content.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.