Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is it realistic to teach myself Graphic Design whilst studying for another degree?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Graphic Design is my #2 career choice.

If my degree subject doesn't work out (it is highly competitive and a fairly unstable line of work), I would like to teach myself Graphic Design on the side.

Most have told me it will be much more difficult for me to find work if I don't take it as a degree subject.

However, I have good developing knowledge (HTML, CSS etc), which I'm hoping will give me the edge and I have heard of a few people who have made it as self-taught graphic designers.

I have always been an artist and have sketchbooks of work as well as an eye for design - and am able in web programming and know how to market myself.

However, my degree subject over the next few years will doubtless take up a lot of my time (and I will have to work a part-time job on the side). My degree subject, however, is not the most demanding compared to many other subjects.

Is it realistic for me to teach myself Graphic Design on the side?

Op, what is your first career choice as it's very hard for me to give advice on.

I've just complete my degree in Graphic Design and your friend is right. I've been searching for Graphic Design jobs and most are requiring you to have a degree.

You could do it part- time, but honestly studying for a degree is exhausting, you'll be surprised about the amount of people who have dropped out as the years go by. Also, in year 2 and 3, you may get away with going Graphic Design part in year 1..but as most Universities count year 2 and year 3 towards your final classification grade, you may feel pressured to get a really good mark. Hence not being able to spend doing Graphics part time.

I don't know what your career first choice is, but if I was you, I will do the degree in Graphic Design; it's not just about learning how to use Photoshop, illustrator and so forth...it's how you complement your design, layout, the use of typography and so forth. Plus doing a degree will expand on your portfolio; your tutors will be able to critique and give you guidance about your portfolio and so forth.

It's great you know about CSS, HTML, this will take you very far in the design world!

*part time
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.