The Student Room Group

I feel useless :(

My goal in life is to become a teacher, however so many people say that it's a terrible career choice and I kinda agree. Teachers don't get enough respect and their salary isn't that great either.

But the thing is there's nothing else I'm interested in doing. I've looked into children's nursing/paediactric but I'm not good with blood and other weird bodily stuff. I've also looked into being a educational psychologist but there's too many psychology theory behind it which I'm not that interested in.

I don't know what to do
Original post by Anonymous
My goal in life is to become a teacher, however so many people say that it's a terrible career choice and I kinda agree. Teachers don't get enough respect and their salary isn't that great either.

But the thing is there's nothing else I'm interested in doing. I've looked into children's nursing/paediactric but I'm not good with blood and other weird bodily stuff. I've also looked into being a educational psychologist but there's too many psychology theory behind it which I'm not that interested in.

I don't know what to do

Do what you want i.e become a teacher and if you are good at it you should enjoy it. Try and get some work experience and that should help you make your choice plus talk to other teachers at all stages.
Don't listen to other people, if you would like to be a teacher then go for it. I think that there are positives and negatives to every profession but as long as you are happy that's what matters. Individuals thrive when they are working for their own enjoyment rather than money making. Would have to agree with the post above about the work experience, this will tell you if this career is right for you.

I don't know what to do

The reason why you feel "useless" is because you're letting OTHERS decide on YOUR future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know what to do

Teachers r very important. Without teachers, not many ppl would become doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. They pass on the knowledge that one needs to be successful in life so yes they r extremely important in our community. If that's what u wanna do then go for it and I wish you the best of luck for the future.

I don't know what to do

Stop listening to what others have to say! End of the day teaching is a hard job but its very rewarding! Do what your heart tells you! I want to become a teacher and i'm from an Asian background where i'm constantly listening to same thing (salary is bad, kids are demanding) but honestly do what makes you happy.. end of the day its about what you're passionate about not how much is in the bank.. if you focus on the pay you're doing it all wrong and you'll find you'll be unhappy in the job

Happy with job with an average salary or Unhappy with job but paid a lot?
which would you rather?
Its your life.You only live once and you should do a career that pleases you.Not your parents or your friends. :flower2::flower2::flower2:
As long as education is still a thing, the world will still need teachers.
Reply 8
I would say continue in what you're doing and do what YOU love to do and not what others have experienced or told you to do. You don't want to go into something that your heart isn't in. If your heart is in teaching then go for it, and aim to be the best teacher you can be. xx
rather than rush into something like teaching which definitely isn't for everyone why not try and get some work experience to learn whether or not it is for you first? work as a TA, shadow some teachers etc

Quick Reply