The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Portsmouth Student Ambassador- Will answer all your questions!

Hi Guys,

I'm a second year Biomedical Science student at the University of Portsmouth and in my spare time also work as an Ambassador for the Uni so have a pretty good experience of what it's like. I didn't live in halls in my first year so I can help with any housing enquires. However, being an Ambassador I have quite a good knowledge of all the halls, they're location and what they are like. So any questions, feel free to ask :smile:

I also have a blog which i've just started. It will mainly be based around student life, what it was like being a fresher and being away from home, some of my life experiences and my travels around the world. It would be awesome if you wanted to follow the blog and comment, but that's up to you! And if any of you have any inspiration for future posts that would be great.

Thank You!
I haven't purchased my freshers pack yet, it seem pricey £45, i'm not sure if i should pay for it. Also can i just purchase individual events closer towards the dates. I also heard that freshers events are suppose to be free, my sister went uni and she didnt pay for her freshers events.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
I'm interested in becoming a Student Ambassador/ Course Rep etc..

I'm guessing these are paid positions and fit around your studies.

Is it possible to get these jobs as a fresher- if so - when and how do i apply?

For part time jobs in Portsmouth- i know of indeed.co.uk but does the uni have a service- can i start applying now to get in there early?
Hello, Christine from the Information Centre here, we have a Careers and Recruitment service for our students and alumni. Most student jobs
within the university are advertised through their web page for part time jobs. The Marketing and Communications team usually recruit for Student Marketing Assistants, Student Ambassadors and Student Mentors in around February time and the advert will be on the part time jobs page
http://www.port.ac.uk/careersandrecruitment/jobsworkexperience/part-timejobs/
Best wishes
Reply 4
Original post by Roadrunner55
I haven't purchased my freshers pack yet, it seem pricey £45, i'm not sure if i should pay for it. Also can i just purchase individual events closer towards the dates. I also heard that freshers events are suppose to be free, my sister went uni and she didnt pay for her freshers events.

Hello, apologies for the late reply. Yes I did find the freshers pack quite pricey. However it does guarantee you entry to most of the main freshers events. The best time to purchase tickets is now before they sell out. As far as I know none of the events were free. It might be different at other uni's where the clubs/bars/events are on campus. But Portsmouth is a city Uni so the events are hosted by Clubs nearby.
Original post by atagirl01
Hello, apologies for the late reply. Yes I did find the freshers pack quite pricey. However it does guarantee you entry to most of the main freshers events. The best time to purchase tickets is now before they sell out. As far as I know none of the events were free. It might be different at other uni's where the clubs/bars/events are on campus. But Portsmouth is a city Uni so the events are hosted by Clubs nearby.

Alright thanks
Reply 6
Original post by cdude
I'm interested in becoming a Student Ambassador/ Course Rep etc..

I'm guessing these are paid positions and fit around your studies.

Is it possible to get these jobs as a fresher- if so - when and how do i apply?

For part time jobs in Portsmouth- i know of indeed.co.uk but does the uni have a service- can i start applying now to get in there early?

Hello, the student ambassador role is paid, the course rep role is not but both are very good roles to have at Uni. With the student ambassador role you pick your shifts so it doesn't get in the way of your studies. I this job only last year when I was a fresher, so yes they do recruit some first years although most are 2nd/3rd years. Last year the job was advertised in my induction week lectures, members of team came and explained the job. It was also advertised at the job fayre in the union which is usually around the end of september. The Uni has 'Purple Door' which can help you look for part time jobs if needed, they can also help with CVs, Volunteer work etc
Hope this helps
Reply 7
hi guys I know this topic is a bit old but maybe someone can help me with a doubt that I have.... It is possible to be both student ambassador and course rep during the same academic year?
Hey, I have an interview this Wednesday for student Ambassador, I really want to know what happens in the group interview, what kind of tasks they give and what kind of questions they ask.
How racist are the residents in portsmouth?
Reply 10
Original post by carloct
hi guys I know this topic is a bit old but maybe someone can help me with a doubt that I have.... It is possible to be both student ambassador and course rep during the same academic year?

I see no reason why not, they are both separate roles. Course rep you are representing your course while as a Uni Ambassador you a representing the whole university.
Reply 11
Original post by KingLord
Hey, I have an interview this Wednesday for student Ambassador, I really want to know what happens in the group interview, what kind of tasks they give and what kind of questions they ask.

From what I remember, the tasks were something along the lines of designing a campus tour as a group and then presenting as a group what you have decided on and why. However, tasks may differ from year to year. Best advice is to be yourself, they are looking for people who would be great at working with young people aged 10 - 18 yrs, make some contributions to the tasks and confidence in presenting. Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending