The Student Room Group

Medicine Re-applicants 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Anybody ready to/already has sent away their UCAS yet??
Original post by Millie-3
Anybody ready to/already has sent away their UCAS yet??

Yeah a week ago.
Reply 62
Original post by AnnekaChan173
thanks! I did badly, I had crippling tonsillitis at the time, but I went to a course and did questions from the book they gave. I made sure I did X questions from each section so I didn't work too much in one area and little in another. One thing I'd say is work on the essay! I only did one practice essay so mine didn't go as well as it should have. Do as many as and send them to old teachers to have a read of ^^

Thanks for the reply! Did you change your personal statement much from your original one?
Reply 63
Did people change their personal statements much from their original one?
Hi just wanted to ask if you guys are using paragraphs in your personal statement?
Hi people, resit student here.
Got AAB at A2, the B in AQA Biology.
UKCAT 2016: 580, 2017: 730
Did pretty bad in BMAT last year but luckily got an interview at Lancaster but no offer.

My current options: Liverpool looking for an A* in Bio but pretty hard to get because they have gotten rid of EMPAS (Practicals) in most places
Exeter who I rang and they said I would only need an A in Bio and they don't score personal statement
Plymouth have also asked for an A and don't score personal statement
My final option is BSMS which I will need the BMAT for, feel I can do much better this year and they are only asking for an A
UEA is another option but they are asking for an A*, and said no one resitting was accepted with an A (anyone heard of anyone getting in with an A?)

I will be predicted A*AA as I am retaking the EMPA in a private college. Does anyone know whether Unis will then give me an offer of A*AA or just the usual AAA.
I did go to a sixth form in a grammar school as I got a bursary but I came from a state secondary school, so I would have been eligible for many access programmes, but oh well.
Does anybody know of any other UKCAT Unis that take resits or foundation year courses, to which I can apply instead of having to take the BMAT.
One last thing, how should I reflect on resitting in my personal statement, and am I allowed to keep it pretty much the same. I am still looking for activities/volunteer work for my gap year as I've had no luck with local hospitals and HCA jobs, so how would I incorporate this into my ps, can i be brief with my plans and say that I intend to continue volunteer work.
Sorry for the long essay btw, all replies appreciated :smile:
Hi everyone,

I've started up a whatsapp groupchat for all of us who are resitting exams and taking gap years. We can offer each other advice on the application process, especially if you've gone through it before! Please PM me if you are interested in joining✌
Hey guys, it's actually somewhat comforting to know there's a community of us in the same boat lol :smile:

I'm on a gap year right now trying to decide what to do and where to apply.
My stats are:
GCSEs: 11A* 2A
A Levels: AAB (B due to mitigating circumstance)
UKCAT: 730 average, Band 1

I will definitely be re-sitting the B grade this year and hopefully getting it to an A*.

Would you advise that I resit an A grade subject in the hopes of getting an A*? One of the subjects was REALLY close to an a* I don't know- is it worth it? Most schools want AAA so I've technically already achieved the requirements, but would a predicted A* make me look more competitive, or is it pointless?

Where would you recommend that I apply? Not many schools take retakes

So far I'm thinking Plymouth, Exeter and King's Extended year... what are people's thoughts? What could be my last choice?

I don't want to sit the BMAT
Original post by Lostalltime
How much have you guys wrote about your gap year plans in your personal statement?

Nothing- not worth it imo unless it's to do with medical work experience
Original post by Cal1234
Thanks for the reply! Did you change your personal statement much from your original one?

I wasn't a reapplicant, it was my first time applying ^^
Original post by confusedspecimen
Hey guys, it's actually somewhat comforting to know there's a community of us in the same boat lol :smile:

My stats are:

I will definitely be re-sitting the B grade this year and hopefully getting it to an A*.

Would you advise that I resit an A grade subject in the hopes of getting an A*? One of the subjects was REALLY close to an a* I don't know- is it worth it? Most schools want AAA so I've technically already achieved the requirements, but would a predicted A* make me look more competitive, or is it pointless?

So far I'm thinking Plymouth, Exeter and King's Extended year... what are people's thoughts? What could be my last choice?

I did this! I reset Biology for an A*, great because it boosts your grades for places like Exeter :smile: *
Original post by angoranimi
Hi everyone,

I've started up a whatsapp groupchat for all of us who are resitting exams and taking gap years. We can offer each other advice on the application process, especially if you've gone through it before! Please PM me if you are interested in joining✌

Hey! I'm interested in joining :smile: Could you pm me your number? Or I can pm you mine when I get on a computer (don't know how to pm on my phone)
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Hey! I'm interested in joining :smile: Could you pm me your number? Or I can pm you mine when I get on a computer (don't know how to pm on my phone)

I'd rather you PM me your number just to make it easier :smile:
Hi, I'm using my gap year to retake Chemistry seen as I got a B. But I'm also working as a clinical support worker. Due to all the DBS checks I'm only due to start it in december, but i have to take a course. The only trouble is I have just received an offer of an interview from Plymouth that clashes with my course so now I'm worried! I've applied to Plymouth, Liverpool and Norwich for med. I have an unconditional offer from Newcastle for biomed and I'm waiting to hear back from Sheffield about Biomed (I'm not worried though as out of the two Newcastle was my favourite)
Original post by Charlotte5683
Hi, I'm using my gap year to retake Chemistry seen as I got a B. But I'm also working as a clinical support worker. Due to all the DBS checks I'm only due to start it in december, but i have to take a course. The only trouble is I have just received an offer of an interview from Plymouth that clashes with my course so now I'm worried! I've applied to Plymouth, Liverpool and Norwich for med. I have an unconditional offer from Newcastle for biomed and I'm waiting to hear back from Sheffield about Biomed (I'm not worried though as out of the two Newcastle was my favourite)

I would email both plymouth and the course people and see who can move. plymouth should be able to singe they know not everyne will suit their time but personally id be keener to move the course. dw about it either way and good luck for the interview.
Hi I'm new to student room so I'm not sure how to pm but please could I be added to the whatsapp group?
Original post by Millie-3
I would email both plymouth and the course people and see who can move. plymouth should be able to singe they know not everyne will suit their time but personally id be keener to move the course. dw about it either way and good luck for the interview.

Yeah I would have been keener to move the course too but it's taken so long for the process to happen (I applied for the job back in September) that I just really want to get working. My plan is to ring the uni first, then if it can't change then I'll ask if I can miss one day of my course (which I don't think I can) and then I'll move my course to January. My only concern with moving the course to then is that I may get offered other interviews and it worries me that they may be in early January.
Original post by confusedspecimen

My stats are:

I was like you and didn't want to sit the BMAT so I applied for Plymouth Norwich and Liverpool.. I'm very worried about getting the A* though! Exeter told me I couldnt apply is that because of mitigating circumstances?
Original post by usycool1
I got four pre-interview rejections when I first applied but am now happily about to start my second year at Imperial. If you guys need any advice about gap years/reapplying etc., feel free to drop me a message. :smile:

Hello! I'm currently in yr 13, thinking about taking a gap year, and I'm thinking of getting a job within the NHS, as well as studying abroad for a few weeks and also getting another job on the side. I'm worried that this won't be enough experience so I'd like some advice on how I can improve please? I can private message you if you want if it's easier for you x
Original post by bakeoffobsessed
Hello! I'm currently in yr 13, thinking about taking a gap year, and I'm thinking of getting a job within the NHS, as well as studying abroad for a few weeks and also getting another job on the side. I'm worried that this won't be enough experience so I'd like some advice on how I can improve please? I can private message you if you want if it's easier for you x

Hey

It sounds like you've already got a good plan for a gap year tbh. Have you got any work experience, like shadowing doctors? If not, that may be something else that you could consider. The important thing on your PS is to say what you got out of your experiences rather than just providing a list, and it sounds like you have a good plan as I said.
Original post by usycool1
Hey

It sounds like you've already got a good plan for a gap year tbh. Have you got any work experience, like shadowing doctors? If not, that may be something else that you could consider. The important thing on your PS is to say what you got out of your experiences rather than just providing a list, and it sounds like you have a good plan as I said.

Thanks for replying! This year, ive alread had experience in 3 different medical environments, and shadowing a few doctors in each but I suppose i could get a bit more experience if needed. Once again, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending