The Student Room Group

University Anxiety !!!!

Hi
I am probably going through the same problem as everyone who is starting uni in September but I just need so advice because my anxiety is so bad right now.

I took a gap year last year after yr 13 and successfully got into medicine. I have recently joined a group chat with all the people I am going to be studying the course with, THEY ARE SUPER NICE.

The problem is that I just don't feel like I fit in. I feel as though I am trying really hard to contribute onto the chat too. But because I'm trying so hard I'm not coming across as myself. It's really frustrating !!

I think I'm worried because throughout secondary school I was bullied up until everyone in the year didn't want to talk to me. Hence I found it really hard to make friends. I'm worried this may happen again.

Aghhh why can't I just feel normal !!!

Is anyone else feeling with way?!
Reply 1
Original post by Vashappeninkira
Hi
I am probably going through the same problem as everyone who is starting uni in September but I just need so advice because my anxiety is so bad right now.

I took a gap year last year after yr 13 and successfully got into medicine. I have recently joined a group chat with all the people I am going to be studying the course with, THEY ARE SUPER NICE.

The problem is that I just don't feel like I fit in. I feel as though I am trying really hard to contribute onto the chat too. But because I'm trying so hard I'm not coming across as myself. It's really frustrating !!

I think I'm worried because throughout secondary school I was bullied up until everyone in the year didn't want to talk to me. Hence I found it really hard to make friends. I'm worried this may happen again.

Not everyone on your course is going to be in that group chat, plus you could make friends with people off your course as well. It may be different when you meet them in person as well - the chat is probably huge, but you sound like a person who'd be comfortable with a smaller group of friends (I know I am) and maybe talking to them a few at a time will be better?

People at uni are going to be more mature than people at your secondary school, so unless you do something unbelievably horrific (which is easy to avoid, just don't set your flatmates on fire) then the "everybody is going to hate me" worry is entirely irrational. I know you probably already know that (I have issues with anxiety too and I know it's not always easy to listen to rational thoughts) but if you keep reminding yourself of that then hopefully that will help :smile:

You will find friends somewhere though, don't worry. It doesn't have to be people on your course, if you are in uni halls then you will have flatmates, plus there are societies etc. There are a lot more people at uni than at school as well so I'm sure you'll find people you feel like you fit in with somewhere!
Original post by Vashappeninkira
Hi

Hello :smile:

Put simply you are not alone.
Students suffering anxiety in university is fairly common. By the end of second year i was in A&E experiencing my first panic attack and later got diagnosed with anxiety. A lot of my friends do as well and we're able to support each other.

University isn't like any other form of education - I haven't heard of bulling whilst at university and even if so, it's a minority case that is heard about - but that's just personal experience.

Just be yourself. I know that is easier said than done but you can do it. You'll meet even more people whilst on your course and it'll just continue. I think your anxiety is causing you to overthink about this group conversation when they probably don't see it that way - just try and keep calm and tell yourself to be yourself.

Best of luck, stay strong :biggrin:
Thanks for your advice it has defiantly helped me feel better ! I think your right I do feel better talking to people in small groups but also when I can actually see them 😂😂😂 I've always been someone who is better at talking than texting so hopefully it will improve when I get there.

Original post by BB8
Not everyone on your course is going to be in that group chat, plus you could make friends with people off your course as well. It may be different when you meet them in person as well - the chat is probably huge, but you sound like a person who'd be comfortable with a smaller group of friends (I know I am) and maybe talking to them a few at a time will be better?

People at uni are going to be more mature than people at your secondary school, so unless you do something unbelievably horrific (which is easy to avoid, just don't set your flatmates on fire) then the "everybody is going to hate me" worry is entirely irrational. I know you probably already know that (I have issues with anxiety too and I know it's not always easy to listen to rational thoughts) but if you keep reminding yourself of that then hopefully that will help :smile:

You will find friends somewhere though, don't worry. It doesn't have to be people on your course, if you are in uni halls then you will have flatmates, plus there are societies etc. There are a lot more people at uni than at school as well so I'm sure you'll find people you feel like you fit in with somewhere!
Thank you for sharingwith me your Experiance of university too ! I think it has just put into prospective that I am not the only one feeling this way too !!! I do believe your right in saying that so much is currently going on in my life right now with packing up and moving that I am letting it all get to me too much !
Maybe I am giving this group chat a bit too much importance therefore I think I'm just going to take a step back from it and enjoy my last two weeks at home. Thanks for your advice X
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:

Put simply you are not alone.
Students suffering anxiety in university is fairly common. By the end of second year i was in A&E experiencing my first panic attack and later got diagnosed with anxiety. A lot of my friends do as well and we're able to support each other.

University isn't like any other form of education - I haven't heard of bulling whilst at university and even if so, it's a minority case that is heard about - but that's just personal experience.

Just be yourself. I know that is easier said than done but you can do it. You'll meet even more people whilst on your course and it'll just continue. I think your anxiety is causing you to overthink about this group conversation when they probably don't see it that way - just try and keep calm and tell yourself to be yourself.

Best of luck, stay strong :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending