The Student Room Group

CBAT help and beyond

Hi all,
I have my CBAT booked for the 12th of September and would like some advice on what to expect.

I have tried the practice test on the RAF site and got around 50/70. I know that the standard speed/distance/time equations are vital as well as interpreting information in the form of graphs for numerical reasoning. What would you recommend that I practice and do you have any useful websites or guides that may be handy to check out.

I have come across this page but I feel after comparing it with the sections on the CBAT joining instructions it is somewhat limited. Has anyone used it?

https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/raf-premium-practice

Also I had a few general questions like how long does it last roughly as the joining instructions say all day and that site says 90 mins, obviously I am following the joining instructions. I am going to be travelling up by car, is it okay to wear normal clothes as it is a few hours from my house so I don't wanna be in my suit while driving. In the evening before the test do you have to wear a suit in the mess or can you wear shirt and trousers?

Thanks for all your help in advance guys!

Andrew
Original post by Andrewg24
Hi all,
I have my CBAT booked for the 12th of September and would like some advice on what to expect.

I have tried the practice test on the RAF site and got around 50/70. I know that the standard speed/distance/time equations are vital as well as interpreting information in the form of graphs for numerical reasoning. What would you recommend that I practice and do you have any useful websites or guides that may be handy to check out.

I have come across this page but I feel after comparing it with the sections on the CBAT joining instructions it is somewhat limited. Has anyone used it?

https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/raf-premium-practice

Also I had a few general questions like how long does it last roughly as the joining instructions say all day and that site says 90 mins, obviously I am following the joining instructions. I am going to be travelling up by car, is it okay to wear normal clothes as it is a few hours from my house so I don't wanna be in my suit while driving. In the evening before the test do you have to wear a suit in the mess or can you wear shirt and trousers?

Thanks for all your help in advance guys!

Andrew

Hi,

I took my CBAT a couple of months ago and honestly the only thing i found helpful to revise were Speed/Distance/Time questions as the rest of the test is used to measure natural ability. I found it more useful to just take my time during the test and go through the examples thoroughly ( the examples during CBAT can be done multiple times if i remember correctly).

This website i found useful for practicing the S/D/T

http://www.speeddistancetime.info/test

My CBAT took me just over 7 hours I believe ( so make sure you use the breaks you get every hour and keep taking on fluid)

I also drove to Cranwell, what I did was drove the majority of the journey in casual clothes and then about 30 mins from Cranwell I Stopped at a service station and changed into my Suit, as I believe you have to be wearing one when you arrive.

Also you will have to wear a suit in the mess, or at least everyone on my CBAT did.

Hope this helps :smile: what are you applying for btw
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for your advice. That's great! I am applying for intelligence officer.
There seems to be a lot of different parts of the test, like you said a lot of which cannot be practiced.
I need to revise a few things and brush up on some formulas.
Did you pass?
Thanks for your advice. That's great! I am applying for intelligence officer.
There seems to be a lot of different parts of the test, like you said a lot of which cannot be practiced.
I need to revise a few things and brush up on some formulas.
Did you pass?

No problem:smile:

yeah I managed to get a pass! I have got my OASC booked for the 6th Sept.
Reply 4
What role are you going for?
What role are you going for?

Hopefully if everything goes to plan, Pilot
Reply 6
What what your wait from CBAT to oasc?
I passed my CBAT on the 17th May and between that and OASC I had my filter interview then my medical.
Reply 8
Hi, I am also going for Int Officer and had my CBAT at the end of May. The advice from HOPEFULPILOT was spot on. We started our testing at about 7.30am and I finished at 2.30pm. I was the first to finish which was very worrying, I thought I had done it all wrong! I also came out of the testing session for my first 5 min break and felt a complete failure, was ready to go home right then as I knew I hadn't done very well, however, I passed everything with really good scores so my advice is just give it everything you have. It is an aptitude test so there isn't much prep you can do in advance as that is part of the point of the tests. They want to see how you can cope with the instructions then putting them into practise. Again all I can emphasise is read the instructions thoroughly, take the breaks when you get them (the computer will automatically tell you when to take them so don't ignore them) and take a water bottle. The tests do depend on what role you are going for as the pilot candidates had to do a couple more tests than I had to do.

You do need to wear a suit in the mess and I wore smart trousers and shirt for the actual testing day, pretty much everyone was in suits/very smart dress all the time.

I had my CBAT on 1st June, filter interview on 12th July, medical on 2nd August and I am booked on OASC for 21st Sept to give you an idea of timelines.

Good luck!
Reply 9
Just a quick one, does the medical also include the fitness test?

You do the fitness test at the end of OASC.

The medicals do not contain a fitness test, the first will be done by Capita and is general health check up.

You will also complete a second medical at OASC which will be another general check up followed by more in depth investigations depending on branch applied for i believe (someone please correct me if i am wrong).

A fitness test will be done separately at OASC.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest