Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Complex about Uni courses

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Sorry it is a bit long. I have Aspergers syndrome and Genaralised Anxiety Disorder. My mum is a Registrar Pediatrician (doctor) and my dad is a civil engineer. In my GCSEs I had a massive mental breakdown. As a result, I was behind in my studies and ended up with A*BCCCCD in my GCSEs. I didn't qualify for Science or Maths A levels, so I took Economics, Business Studies and Law. I had severe panic attacks in my AS exams, which is why I ended up with 2 Es and a U. I am still allowed to go to Year 13. I plan on continuing these qualifications and attaining them. However, I cannot decide what to do after sixth form. I am torn between taking an Access to Higher Education course in Business or Science. If I take the access course in science, I would want to study Radiography at university. I am feeling inferior that my mother is a doctor and I am not studying the sciences. So many times, people have been surprised that my mum is a doctor. They accuse me of lying, and say that I don't look like the kind of person whose mum is a doctor. What should I do? I feel like taking the sciences, but I just don't know what to do.

    Best advice I can give you? Be honest with yourself.

    Will you be able to cope with taking the sciences, or are you likely to find it too much? Do you actually want to do science and radiography, or is it just because your Mum is a doctor?

    Don't listen to the people who accuse you of lying, they'll disappear soon anyway, and don't try to meet anyone's expectations but your own, and only then because that is what you want to do.

    Do you have any support for your anxiety (medical or otherwise)? It sounds like it's something which is really affecting you, so if you haven't it might be worth trying to get some before Year 13.

    All the Best with whatever you do!
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.