The Student Room Group

how to become a diplomat?

i'm a 17 year old boy interested in a career in international affairs.
I'm studying geography, history and english lit at a level then taking a gap year to australia.
after the gap year I'm not sure whether to go to uni or get a job.
then i found jobs at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and this fast stream process they offer whereby they give civil service jobs to graduates.
only problem is they only accept up to 1000 applications, and there's usually tens of thousands applying.
so my question is how do i stand out from all the other applications? if i don't get in, how else can i enter diplomacy? what's it like being a diplomat? thanks
The fast stream is the only route into the foreign office that I know of. But you should be aware that working for the FCO office/working in foreign embassies doesn't make you a diplomat, you'd be a civil servant.
Original post by cosmo321
i'm a 17 year old boy interested in a career in international affairs.
I'm studying geography, history and english lit at a level then taking a gap year to australia.
after the gap year I'm not sure whether to go to uni or get a job.
then i found jobs at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and this fast stream process they offer whereby they give civil service jobs to graduates.
only problem is they only accept up to 1000 applications, and there's usually tens of thousands applying.
so my question is how do i stand out from all the other applications? if i don't get in, how else can i enter diplomacy? what's it like being a diplomat? thanks

Get into a good uni, do extra curricular activities that build character and leadership skills, travel, learn a language, get some work experience/internships under your belt, kick ass in your degree. Apply with a strong, mistake free application - practice for any tests that may come up in the process If you get an interview, prep like hell for it. Bada bing bada boom, you're in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Get into a good uni, do extra curricular activities that build character and leadership skills, travel, learn a language, get some work experience/internships under your belt, kick ass in your degree. Apply with a strong, mistake free application - practice for any tests that may come up in the process If you get an interview, prep like hell for it. Bada bing bada boom, you're in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for the advice.
just found out that to enter the fast stream you can either get a degree or two a two year apprenticeship.
would either one enhance my chances of getting in, or would the count as the same?
Original post by Snufkin
The fast stream is the only route into the foreign office that I know of. But you should be aware that working for the FCO office/working in foreign embassies doesn't make you a diplomat, you'd be a civil servant.

I dunno man, that's kind of the exact definition of being a diplomat. How else would you define the word?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Her_Majesty%27s_Diplomatic_Service
Original post by JimsFortis
I dunno man, that's kind of the exact definition of being a diplomat. How else would you define the word?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Her_Majesty%27s_Diplomatic_Service

No he's right, my father works in the FCO and he is known as a civil servant, despite having been consul in various overseas posts
You are getting your Consulates/High Commisions and Embassies mixed up. Staff at the prior don't generally get diplomatic privilege/immunity, whilst the latter do.

The rank of Consul is not a diplomatic rank, presumably as a Consulate is not a diplomatic mission. The diplomatic ranks are: Attaché, Third Secretary, Second Secretary, First Secretary, Counsellor, Minister, Ambassador.

British Consulates can be considered a satellite location of the British Embassy of that country and typically do consular work only (visa, passport, British education (British council) etc). They have no relationship to the government of the host country. For example, Hong Kong and Shanghai have a consulate, but they report to the British Embassy in Beijing. The staff in Hong Kong and Shanghai are not diplomats per se, but the staff in Beijing are.

Embassy staff only hold diplomatic rank/status, when overseas in their place of posting ONLY (not in any other country). Every posting is 3-4 years, every third posting is back to London as a standard civil servant.

A word of warning, work in HM Diplomatic Corp is likely not what you think, probably in the same context that MI6 isn't full of James Bond characters. Pay is generally lame, with the best uplifts reserved for the worst countries in the world where you really won't have any lifestyle. The perks aren't what they used to be, you can't send your kids to Hogwarts anymore without coughing up a 33% of the fees yourself!

Rumour has it that climbing the ranks in the FCO is very slow. It is quicker to join the Home Office, climb the civil service ranks, then transfer over to foreign office at a later date, in a much more senior rank than you would have if you joined the FCO from the start.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending