The Student Room Group

Do you pick 4 or 3 A levels?

When picking your subjects for 6th form /college do you still pick 4 and drop 1 in the second year?
Reply 1
4 AS Levels and 3 A Levels
Original post by akinaro
When picking your subjects for 6th form /college do you still pick 4 and drop 1 in the second year?

I think it would be best to choose three unless your confident you can get decent grades with four as most universities are happy]y with three. Since the government are changing the exams to linea you no longer get an AS grrade iunless you stick with the course for two years
Reply 3
You can sit AS exams but they don't count towards the whole A Level, it is nothing more than just a formal certificated mock which will be used for uni predictions. You have to sit the A level paper in year 13 with the AS stuff in there again.
Also, some A Levels haven't finished reforming to the new style yet, so some of the AS' will count
My advice is to take 4 and drop 1, and if your school doesn't enter you for your AS exams, drop out of one early.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I picked 3 A level subjects. I picked 4 at first but the teachers advised that it is better to pick 3 than 4 because of how much work you have to do based on whatever subject you pick, and you will be able to focus more on those 3. And universities want 3 anyways.
Reply 5
Original post by Kyle1198
You can sit AS exams but they don't count towards the whole A Level, it is nothing more than just a formal certificated mock which will be used for uni predictions. You have to sit the A level paper in year 13 with the AS stuff in there again.
Also, some A Levels haven't finished reforming to the new style yet, so some of the AS' will count
My advice is to take 4 and drop 1, and if your school doesn't enter you for your AS exams, drop out of one early.

Okay, I'll probably do that then. I was thinking of doing 3 sciences and maths and drop either physics or maths
I picked 4 planning to drop one on the second year but because of how the college i chose has managed the timetables, Ive already been reduced to 3
Either 3 or 4 AS levels (we can choose at my sixth form) and 3 A-Levels

Quick Reply

Latest