Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Russell Group BSc to GLD to LLM .... or.... Non-RG LLB to RG LLM. Which is easier?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Before anybody says: "None of this will be easy X is one of the hardest...", I'm well aware of how difficult the task at hand is.

I suppose the question is better asked as: Which is more realistic?

I recently got an offer to study BSc in Criminology and Sociology at Cardiff or Law at Nottingham Trent. I originally wanted to do Law with Criminology at Cardiff, but due to being 26 and out of academics for a long time and not doing too well on a couple of exams, causing my access score being 3 points too low to get onto the course. But they offered me this instead. My insurance choice, Nottingham Trent offered me a place on Law LLB straight away.

I want to work in Criminal law. Either for the Police (More sophisticated stuff) or for CPS.

Basically, I want to do an LLM. But there seems to be a problem. Here are the two potential paths:

Path 1: Do the course at Cardiff. Go to University of Law or BPP and get a conversion course and go to Uni and get a Master's degree. Is that possible?

Path 2: Go to Nottingham Trent and pray that a Russell Group University accepts me for an LLM.

You see where I'm going this because I'm trying to be concise for the sake of avoiding TL;DR from potential advice. I assure you that my individual responses to your posts will be nicer lol.

Any advice guys?

I'm doing an LLM at Cardiff now, at the dissertation stage at the moment. It's hard! :cry2:

I would suggest that you go to Nottingham Trent and get your LLB. If you get a First at NTU then an LLM from a RG university, that would really stand out on your CV (provided that your LLM grades are decent).Most RG unis accept 2:1s as well for LLM, and from any university. Obviously Law is what you want to study, so would you really want to spend 3 years of your life on another subject?

On the other hand, the GDL would only add another year of study (I think), which isn't all that bad.

Both paths are doable but what you need to weigh up is cost because only your first degree will be funded and time. Also as the poster above says do you want to spend all that time studying something you aren't as interested in?

I think you need to not think about your opinions in terms of whether the course is at an RG uni or not.

I would urge you to pick the undergraduate degree that is most relevant to what you want to achieve in the long run.*
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.