The Student Room Group

Fresher 2016 Worried about not drinking.

Basically, I'm starting uni in September and don't drink at all personally. I have no issue with being around people who drink and going out and getting involved but personally I just don't drink. I'm just rather worried about finding good friends who will accept this and not disregard me or just anyone in the same position? Also I don't know anyone starting my course so who am I meant to go to freshers events with ?
Original post by OwaisB
Basically, I'm starting uni in September and don't drink at all personally. I have no issue with being around people who drink and going out and getting involved but personally I just don't drink. I'm just rather worried about finding good friends who will accept this and not disregard me or just anyone in the same position? Also I don't know anyone starting my course so who am I meant to go to freshers events with ?

First of all, plenty of people don't drink and don't like to go out clubbing. I'm sure you'll make lots of friends because you will go out with them even if you don't drink.

Secondly, you will be an valuable member of the group! As you are the one who is sober, you can be the one to make sure everyone is okay. I don't mean all night or anything but just quick checks once in a while.

Don't worry. You'll be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by ilovegoats
First of all, plenty of people don't drink and don't like to go out clubbing. I'm sure you'll make lots of friends because you will go out with them even if you don't drink.

Secondly, you will be an valuable member of the group! As you are the one who is sober, you can be the one to make sure everyone is okay. I don't mean all night or anything but just quick checks once in a while.

Don't worry. You'll be fine.

Ahhh maybe I'm just over thinking ? I'm not sure Ahhh it's just an initial fear I guess before uni starts like how everyone's always speaking about Freshers and getting drunk etc so yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OwaisB
Ahhh maybe I'm just over thinking ? I'm not sure Ahhh it's just an initial fear I guess before uni starts like how everyone's always speaking about Freshers and getting drunk etc so yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im literally in the same position as you

What uni are you going to?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
Im literally in the same position as you

What uni are you going to?

Aston uni, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't need to drink, and you definitely can say no.
People are more understanding than you think, way more.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, you can enjoy yourself just as much!
Drinking responsibly is not a bad thing; so if you do come around to it, stay safe and have fun.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by OwaisB

Ayy!

Same situation here. While doing my foundation year I didn't find any problems being the sober one of the group. Clubs and socials may seem boring and pressuring at first, but if you learn to go straight to the dance floor and start enjoying yourself early, I find that its not as problematic as one may think!
Original post by OwaisB

Hello :smile:

The worry you are expressing is extremely common and I answer at least two threads a day around this topic, so, the bottom line is you are not alone.

I know it's worrying to think about but university is genuinely different to other education, the majority of people are mature and respect your decision not to drink. I won't affect your ability to make friends and no one will look down on you for it. You've said you don't mind being around people who drink, so, you can still be social and enjoy yourself.

A lot of people have been in the same position, you'll be absolutely fine. Have you had a look round on social media (such as Facebook) to see if groups have been created by the university / SU in order to meet people?

You'll meet people as your course starts and in your halls etc and you'll attend Freshers with them.

Best of luck :biggrin:
Original post by OwaisB
Aston uni, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you will be fine, aston university has a lot of muslims anyway, and im sure you fit in either way, but there will be definetly non alcholoic events running, especiialy by ISoc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending