The Student Room Group

I have been personally abused and vctimised by edexcel

so i've just seen the edexcel gcse grade boundaries. (hoping its fake) .170 MARKS FOR AN A* ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH? A GIGGLE?

I started september with a c in maths. I told myself I was not going to get a c or even a b in maths because I felt like I could do better. So September through December I worked my butt off and ended up with an A. An A was all i was aiming nothing more, nothing less.At this point my teacher was hella proud of me and told me to push for an a* as I had a few months left.So I did.A week before the exam I was averaging high 80's and low 90's. I was content. Then I done the june 2015 paper and managed to get a 95. The paper was so controversial.Yet so very easy. I looked at the grade boundaries and laughed 155? seriously. A week goes by, I sit my edexcel gcse maths paper, i started to panic at the beginning because my mind couldn't believe I was sitting my actual maths gcse.Anyways this panic led me to make dumb mistakes e.g. forgeting to write units, key on stem and leaf, converting units, dividing properly ( i wrote 6/3=3 in an algebra question and many more) therefore i lost marks, alot of them. I ended up with 168 in total after numerous unofficial mark schemes and being harsh with myself.the 2016 gcse maths paper was definitely harder than 2015. So i thought the grade boundaries would stay the same if not lower. LITTLE DID I KNOW EDEXCEL LOOKED AT MY MARKS AND SAID NOPE LETS MAKE THE BOUNDARY 2 MARKS HIGHER SHE DOESN'T DESERVE IT. IF THOSE GRADE BOUNDARIES ARE TRUE I WILL NEVER EVER SIT AN EDEXCEL PAPER AGAIN IN MY LIFE, ( I WILL GO TO A COLLEGE THAT IS NOT AFFLIATED WITH EDEXCELS ********)
ANYWAYS I DONT DESERVE THIS AND NONE OF THE OTHER PEOPLE WHO WAS DESPERATE TO SCRAPE AN A*
ITS NOT ABOUT GETTING ALOT OF A*'S FOR ME IT'S JUST THAT I ACTUALLY TRIED.I REVISED THE NIGHT BEFORE FOR ALL MY EXAMS AND I HAVEN'T EVEN BOTHERED TO LOOK AT THE BOUNDARIES FOR OTHER SUBJECTS.

***UPDATE*** THE GRADE BOUNDARIES ARE REAL, BIG SHOUTOUT TO EDEXCEL FOR BEING THE WORST EXAM BOARD IN ALL OF GCSE HISTORY.
** Update guys** i ended up getting an a like i predicted with a score of 169/200 painful? Yes i know. I'm going to get a remark and hopefully those method marks will pull me through.i'm happy with my a in maths as going to school kinda gave me a reality check. I had to witness people crying because they didn't get their c to go to college. So i'm eternally grateful.

**UPDATE* in the unlikely event of my grade going up via a remark, IT DID! I don't know by how many marks but my exam officer emailed earlier. So although I was happy with an A in gcse maths, i'm also happy that my grade went up to an A*. Since, I started my a levels namely maths I've realised how insignificant gcse's really are. I'm happy this happened to me because it motivates me not to let the same thing happen in my a levels.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4274944

Proceed to winge more on there please.
Reply 2
I hope they are not cruel with grade boundaries.
Original post by asiyaaden9879
so i've just seen the edecel gcse grade boundaries. (hoping its fake) .170 marks for an a* are you kidding me? Are you having a laugh? A giggle?

I started september with a c in maths. I told myself i was not going to get a cor even a b in maths because i felt like i do better. So september through december i worked my butt off and ended up with an a. An a was all i was aiming nothing more nothing less.at this point my teacher was hella proud of me and told me to push for an* as i had a few months left.so i did.a week before the exam i was averaging high 80's and low 90's. I was content. Then i done the june 2015 paper and managed to get a 95. The paper was so controversial.yet so very easy. I looked at the grade boundaries and laughed 155? Seriously. A week goes by, i sit my edexcel gcse maths paper, i started to panic at the beginning because my mind couldn't believe i was sitting my actual maths gcse.anyways this panic led me to make dumb mistakes e.g. Forgeting to write units, key on stem and leaf, converting units, dividing propery ( i wrote 6/3=3 in an algebra question and many more) therefore i lost marks alot of them. I ended up with 168 in total after numerous unofficial mark schemes and being harsh with myself.the 2016 gcse maths paper was definitely harder than 2015. So i thought the grade boundaries would stay the same if not lower. Little did i know edexcel looked at my marks and said nope lets make the boundary 2 marks higher she doesn't deserve it. If those grade boundaries are true i will never ever sit an edexcel paper again in my life, ( i will go to a college that is not affliated with edexcels ********)
anyways i dont deserve this and none of the other people who was desperate to scrape an a*
its not about getting alot of a*'s for me it's just that i actually tried.i revised the night before for all my exams and i haven't even bothered to look at the boundaries for other subjects.

i feel youuuuuu
They can't just hand out A*'s...
I'm really mad too coz they put it wayyyy too high :angry:
Original post by Lord Samosa
They can't just hand out A*'s...

I'm not saying they should, I'm saying the boundaries should match the difficulty of the paper not about the amount of people that complain about a 3 mark question about sweets like they did last year.
Reply 7
Original post by AsiyaAden9879
I'm not saying they should, I'm saying the boundaries should match the difficulty of the paper not about the amount of people that complain about a 3 mark question about sweets like they did last year.

Lol shows how much you know, that IS exactly what they do, clearly this year the papers were easier.
Reply 8
I agree as well, the papers werent that bad.
Maths A Level Edexcel Students Had it 100 Times worse, our anal cavity was penetrated to oblivion resulting in my dream to shatter
if we all do bad it'll make the new gcse's they're introducing look better. hoping it's not to do w that, n prolly isn't, but ah. 👀 but ah maybe you've done better than you thought !!
Original post by Blobar
Lol shows how much you know, that IS exactly what they do, clearly this year the papers were easier.

Students reaction influence the grade boundaries aswell. I'm not saying that this year was significantly harder but nonetheless it was harder.This is coming from someone who sat both papers in the span of a week.
Original post by Nuggetsarelife
Maths A Level Edexcel Students Had it 100 Times worse, our anal cavity was penetrated to oblivion resulting in my dream to shatter

I feel ya completely
Reply 13
Students reaction influence the grade boundaries aswell. I'm not saying that this year was significantly harder but nonetheless it was harder.This is coming from someone who sat both papers in the span of a week.

You said it yourself, people succumb to pressure just like you did, there's no pressure just doing a paper in your own time that's probably why you found it so easy. Exams aren't just about your talent but how much you can handle pressure, unfortunatey you didn't handle it so well this time.
edexcel is the devil. you best believe i didnt take any edexcel exams.
Reply 15
It's sad how some of you are acting towards each other because of the release of these grade boundaries. I can understand that it may be annoying for some people to see, but people are genuinely worried about their future here, and they don't need somebody to insult/patronize them. Grow up people, GCSEs has put a lot of people under stress for a long long time, stop making each other feel worst, it's just not right....

Another one crying over something pointless. Grade boundaries are decided by the general performance of everyone across the country who sat the two papers. You cannot argue or cry about the grade boundaries being too high. So what if you don't get the A*? It's not the end of the world. You can continue to live just fine with an A.
Original post by Blobar
I've had the same frustration and experience, didn't post on here for sympathy though. Atleast you got an A, much higher than what you expected to get at the start of the year, that's something.

Don't take what I'm saying as personal, which you seem to be.

People express stuff in different ways.You can't expect everyone to be like you.
Reply 18
Original post by Vyres
It's sad how some of you are acting towards each other because of the release of these grade boundaries. I can understand that it may be annoying for some people to see, but people are genuinely worried about their future here, and they don't need somebody to insult/patronize them. Grow up people, GCSEs has put a lot of people under stress for a long long time, stop making each other feel worst, it's just not right....

It's sad to see people who can't handle getting only an A and not an A*. TSR is pathetic at times.
Reply 19
Original post by Blobar
It's sad to see people who can't handle getting only an A and not an A*. TSR is pathetic at times.

It doesn't matter. Now is not the time to be rational. Clearly people are under a lot of emotional distress, and right now they need time to calm down, and discuss the issue at hand. Honestly, use some common sense.

Quick Reply

Latest