The Student Room Group

What are my career prospects?

Hi everyone, I recently accepted a offer to do chemical engineering at uni of Nottingham but after more research I have been swayed by a career in accounting.
If i try to transfer to finance accounting and management Bsc at University of Nottingham and get a first or a 2.1, what would my chances be of getting onto a graduate scheme to do ACA at a big 4 firm?

I got A*AB at A level in Chemistry, Maths and physics
I also got 5A* and 5A at GCSE

Also what other career options would be open to me if I switch to this degree. (Like in finance)
Would I be able to get into accounting graduate schemes at big 4 if i stay doing Chem Eng and just do a BEng instead of a MEng.

Thank you for any help
For starters, you don't even need to have an accounting degree to get into the Big 4! They generally accept people from all disciplines as you will be trained in a professional accounting qualification after you start.

Secondly, your A-Level and GCSE results are fantastic, why aim for a 2.1 when you most definitely have the potential to graduate with a 1st? Yes the Big 4 will accept you with a 2.1 but you will distinguish yourself with a 1st.

The career options are endless, a quick look on Prospects, Big 4 and recruitment websites will show you the multitude of roles you can fit into.

The main point is you do not have to do a finance degree, in fact, if i was in your position I would study Maths as it better prepares you for a career in finance than a "business/accounting" degree would do.

hamza ahmad luton 786 hertfordshire hamzaahmad786

hamza ahmad luton 786 hertfordshire hamzaahmad786
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you for your help, I just wish I thought things through sooner. Do you think doing the chemical engineering and a summer internship in accounting is a good way to go.
Original post by ss98
Thank you for your help, I just wish I thought things through sooner. Do you think doing the chemical engineering and a summer internship in accounting is a good way to go.

the degree you do doesn't matter, just try your best to get involved at uni and build up some peripheral leadership skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending