The Student Room Group

Will I be considered if I resit GCSE maths?

Going into year 13 & I'm thinking of resitting GCSE Maths in order to get an A or whatever the highest grade is for the new grading system, originally I achieved a C, however, I realised it isn't realistically going to get me into a decent university (Looking into Lancaster and Surrey University), especially that I hope to be studying Computer Science or Computing 2017 entry which I understand is a heavy maths based subject.

So my question is, do you think I will be even considered to a degree course which requires a grade B but only achieved a Grade C first time and will be resitting?? Or would I just be wasting my time resitting?
Basically the question in the title :biggrin:
Original post by squirrology
Going into year 13 & I'm thinking of resitting GCSE Maths in order to get an A or whatever the highest grade is for the new grading system, originally I achieved a C, however, I realised it isn't realistically going to get me into a decent university (Looking into Lancaster and Surrey University), especially that I hope to be studying Computer Science or Computing 2017 entry which I understand is a heavy maths based subject.

So my question is, do you think I will be even considered to a degree course which requires a grade B but only achieved a Grade C first time and will be resitting?? Or would I just be wasting my time resitting?
Basically the question in the title :biggrin:

If a course specifies a B at GCSE, then that is what it means, and you won't make the cut to the next stage if you don't have it. Universities are much less flexible about GCSEs than A levels, which many find surprising. Therefore your only option is to resit. Whether it will count against you as it is second time around, you'll have to ask them, but if they want a B, they want a B, so you don't have much choice.
In fairness you should resit it anyway for your own personal development if you 'only' have a C. As you have identified, computer science can be quite maths-heavy and in some modules (especially anything to do with game programming or AI) not having at least a good grasp of certain mathematical concepts is going to leave you struggling.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending