The Student Room Group

year 13/A level option - need help!!!!!!

In AS level i didnt do very well and got :
c-english
c-history(1 mark form B)
E-maths
E-economics

I don't know how this happened as i was expecting much more. I want to do economics or a related degree in uni and know that i will most probarbly have to take a gap year.
I have a few options and need help in which one to pick
1) Take, economics,history,english- not all degrees require maths and with this I will at least get ok predicted grades this year. All these subjects are linear so I won't have to retake anything.
2) take, maths,history,english- I guess this will give me more options but I will have 6 maths exams next year and am not sure as I enjoy economics more but am usually quite strong at maths ( A in gcse maths and further maths
3) Take maths,economics,history- this will give me all the subjects i need but i will get bad predicted grades although these were my strongest subjects last year before the actual exams

idk what to do and family and friends are all telling me different things. so confused pls help
Original post by M_k_s
c-english
c-history(1 mark form B)
E-maths
E-economics

I don't know how this happened as i was expecting much more. I want to do economics or a related degree in uni and know that i will most probarbly have to take a gap year.
1) Take, economics,history,english- not all degrees require maths and with this I will at least get ok predicted grades this year. All these subjects are linear so I won't have to retake anything.
2) take, maths,history,english- I guess this will give me more options but I will have 6 maths exams next year and am not sure as I enjoy economics more but am usually quite strong at maths ( A in gcse maths and further maths
3) Take maths,economics,history- this will give me all the subjects i need but i will get bad predicted grades although these were my strongest subjects last year before the actual exams

idk what to do and family and friends are all telling me different things. so confused pls help

I am in a similar situation I want to do civil engineering in uni but I got a U in maths because I was self- studying and started really late in March. So my advice would be to drop maths and continue with your other subjects because you don't need maths for economics in uni you can still go to a decent university without maths. So just focus on your other subjects.
Original post by M_k_s
c-english
c-history(1 mark from B)
E-maths
E-economics

I don't know how this happened as i was expecting much more. I want to do economics or a related degree in uni and know that i will most probably have to take a gap year.

First thing you need to do is keep calm. The world will not end based on your A Level choices. Second thing to do is check uni websites and see if you need any particular subjects (if the website isn't clear: E-mail the admissions tutor - good tactic to get a place). Now I want you to ask yourself: did you try your best? Was that your best effort and consequently: those are the grade that you whole-heartedly deserve. If it is not your best, and you know that you could have tried harder, then you need to put that wasted effort into your studies next year. If you think that that was your best: do you think your revision was the most effective (i.e. did you just sit and read the text book, or is your bedroom wall full of coloured diagrams and get words for you to remember?)? If you believe that your revision technique could have been better then see here for some advice. If you think it was perfect then you are in a tricky situation because it means that those AS grades were the best that you could have possibly got.

Now, English History and Economics are all under the new exam system. That means that your AS has no bearing on your A Level and your school/sixth form/college didn't need to make you sit them. The exam boards also sent an E-mail round to all schools/sixth forms/colleges telling them that because this was the first year of exams, the grade boundaries might be a bit funny. Realistically I don't think you should have sat AS level except for Maths because you didn't need to (but I know it wasn't your choice).

So have a think of what I've said, do a bit of research and then get back to me on your position.
Reply 3
Thank you so much that was really helpful. I think I will continue with the others and drop maths

But other opinions are welcome
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
First thing you need to do is keep calm. The world will not end based on your A Level choices. Second thing to do is check uni websites and see if you need any particular subjects (if the website isn't clear: E-mail the admissions tutor - good tactic to get a place). Now I want you to ask yourself: did you try your best? Was that your best effort and consequently: those are the grade that you whole-heartedly deserve. If it is not your best, and you know that you could have tried harder, then you need to put that wasted effort into your studies next year. If you think that that was your best: do you think your revision was the most effective (i.e. did you just sit and read the text book, or is your bedroom wall full of coloured diagrams and get words for you to remember?)? If you believe that your revision technique could have been better then see here for some advice. If you think it was perfect then you are in a tricky situation because it means that those AS grades were the best that you could have possibly got.

Now, English History and Economics are all under the new exam system. That means that your AS has no bearing on your A Level and your school/sixth form/college didn't need to make you sit them. The exam boards also sent an E-mail round to all schools/sixth forms/colleges telling them that because this was the first year of exams, the grade boundaries might be a bit funny. Realistically I don't think you should have sat AS level except for Maths because you didn't need to (but I know it wasn't your choice).

So have a think of what I've said, do a bit of research and then get back to me on your position.

Thanks I think I'm gonna drop maths as I am more likely to get a higher predicted grade for the others as they are linear
Original post by M_k_s
Thanks I think I'm gonna drop maths as I am more likely to get a higher predicted grade for the others as they are linear
As long as you're sure. Then you have made a tough decision. Well done: I hope it's the right one.

Quick Reply

Latest