The Student Room Group

Can I continue with an E at A-level?

I got an E for my use of maths, so I'm really worried that if teacher doesn't allow me to continue this subject next year😕, I know E is a pass but what if teacher recommended me to take another subject ?which I really don't want to... can anyone tell me does teacher really gonna do that or not???
Reply 1
At A-Level an E-grade is considered a pass, but it is the lowest grade you could get in order to pass an A-Level. i.e. Grades A-E qualify as passes.

I would agree with your teacher that taking another subject would be a good idea, particularly if you found it hard.
Consider if you continued the subject, would you enjoy it? Would you put the work in to get a better grade? If you do continue I would highly advise resitting and working towards a C grade to maximise your career prospects / university opportunities.
I don't know if the teacher will not let you continue, but merely from what you've said, it is only a recommendation. It does depend on your teacher and your College however :smile:
Thank you for your reply😊, and yes I'm going to retake 2 for my papers, and I do work really hard in use of maths I would say, and its not I enjoy it or not, it's that I have to take it as i don't have anything else to choose 😐.
The reason that I got an E for use of maths is that I ran out of time in my first paper, it was worth 5 marks and I knew how to do them. All the questions on that paper are quite easy, this is why the grade boundary is so high, so you cannot lose a single mark as you can easily drop from B to an E, and I just completely failed in my third paper as the questions are too hard.
I'm going to work towards a B or C for resetting and I'm already started revise now. I'm currently study in Sixth form college and the teachers are pretty strict on our grades, so this is why i'm so worried...but I will see, if the teacher allows me to continue that will be great,if not, then I have to find out my next step...
Reply 3
Original post by 15yangisabelle
Thank you for your reply😊, and yes I'm going to retake 2 for my papers, and I do work really hard in use of maths I would say, and its not I enjoy it or not, it's that I have to take it as i don't have anything else to choose 😐.
The reason that I got an E for use of maths is that I ran out of time in my first paper, it was worth 5 marks and I knew how to do them. All the questions on that paper are quite easy, this is why the grade boundary is so high, so you cannot lose a single mark as you can easily drop from B to an E, and I just completely failed in my third paper as the questions are too hard.
I'm going to work towards a B or C for resetting and I'm already started revise now. I'm currently study in Sixth form college and the teachers are pretty strict on our grades, so this is why i'm so worried...but I will see, if the teacher allows me to continue that will be great,if not, then I have to find out my next step...

Thats great. You have the drive for it and to improve and I'm sure that will work in your favour in persuading them (if you need to), if you want to do it by all means you certainly can! :smile:

Good luck! If you're ever stuck, know the TSR Maths forum is one of the best places to go.
Ok, thank you very much for your help! 😊 yeh I will try to persuade them, and hopefully I could achieve a better grade for resetting, also thanks for the suggestion, I will do my hardest.☺

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending