The Student Room Group

How to make good History notes?

I'm currently about to go into Year 11 and thought I should start making notes, however I'm terrible at making them. Can anyone provide any tips? I've started some and they're terrible tbh, I've used too much colours:eek:
Original post by Anshul01
I'm currently about to go into Year 11 and thought I should start making notes, however I'm terrible at making them. Can anyone provide any tips? I've started some and they're terrible tbh, I've used too much colours:eek:

Are you doing AQA?
If you're going to be learning about monarchs, make mindmaps and be really colourful. Under each monarch, write down the laws they imposed or whatever.
Agree - help and advice on revising for Unit 4 of OCR History A (so, Civil Rights in the USA) would be amazing too.

Is it better to revise by topic (ie African American / Native America/ Women's Rights / Trade Unions individually) or by chronologically by decade (with all of the aforementioned groups' progress)?

I found it so overwhelming trying to remember the dates for four different groups :frown: At least with British Foreign Policy or Nazi Germany, it's just the one chronology that we have to remember.
You should try all different types of revision notes!

E.g. for one of my topics I did queue cards with little pictures on, as well as using different colours which was helpful because that topic had a lot of overlapping dates so it helped to differentiate. Whereas for a different topic I used big A3 sheets and just done a sort of timeline with every event separated into boxes which helped with that topic because it spanned over many years so helped me keep it in chronological order in my head.

Overall the one hat worked for me the most was the A3 sheets, as I achieved full marks in that specific exam however it also helped that I made them early on at the beginning of year 11 and so had a long time to keep revisiting them which I would suggest you try to do also! But I cannot say what type of revision will work the best for you - you just have to test them all out and see what one clicks! Good luck in history!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
For the love of god, use your own words! If you do nothing else, just don't copy straight from a book, because you wont remember a thing! It helps to keep it colourful but not crazy, green for pros, red for cons perhaps. Got to remember people? Red for one group, blue for the other. Try everything, you'll find what works for you soon enough. Good luck!
Original post by Anshul01

VIDEOS. I fount that videos from YouTube helped me a lot in history especially if you don't like writing too much. They tell you basic information and it was very useful.
There was this girl on YouTube who did Medicine through time and she made it seem fun and I got a good grade due to her videos.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending