The Student Room Group

Applying as a private candidate

Hello. I'm an international student who has just finished an A-Level course. I failed getting the results I needed (any decent results actually) due to unpredicted circumstances and now thinking on applying to International Foundation Programme in an independent college (since it's cheaper than passing One-Year A-Level in an independent Sixth Form which would cost me around £20,000 on average for the educational fees only; while IFP is around £14,000). I would still, however, like to re-sit my A-Level exams and am thinking of applying as a private candidate and sit the A-Level exams after my Foundation exams (Foundation exams normally take place earlier than the A-Level ones). But I'm not sure I fully understand how it works though. Since private candidates have neither predicted grades nor AS grades and only get the results in August do they then take a gap year to apply to uni next term or do they go through Clearing/Adjustment after the results released to get into uni? If so, how high are the chances? And what's with the bureaucratic part? I mean, even though I can state my future grades as pending qualifications in UCAS I still won't have any offers (because how can I apply without any grades)? It seems as an infinite loop to me so I wonder if anyone can advise me on this?
Thanks!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest