Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Being asked to provide both means testing and independent evidence

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I'm appealing my student finance decision as the amount deemed was too little to cover even my rent.
    I was first asked to apply as an independent and provide my proof of earning documents. They were not sufficient as there was one year where I was out of work for 3 months.
    I was then told my parents could fill in a PFF2 form as they would not be able to fully support me through uni.
    I was under the impression that because my evidence as an independent was not proof enough for a higher loan, that my parents could support my application with this form and that may help increase my loan amount.
    I have now been told that it's not an either/ or situation.
    I was under the impression that since my initial independent appeal was rejected, that I could apply as a means tested candidate, in fact, when i rang about this, the gentleman on the phone told me that, with means testing, I was entitled to £2000 more.
    Now I'm being told that I still need to provide proof of earnings as and Independent Candidate AND a PPF2 form from my parents.
    If one appeal was already rejected, why do I need to appeal again on the same basis?

Hi there.

This does not sound like an appeal. These are two separate methods of being income assessed through normal process, either on your own, or using your parent's figures.

There are no circumstances where we would ask you to provide both your independent evidence and your parent's income, however we may simply still be presenting both options to you, as it is your decision which you want to pursue.

It may be best to call on 0300 100 0607 to have your account checked and someone can clarify the situation for you.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 30, 2016
Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.