The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by giggy12s
After how long did you hear back?

I applied Monday evening, got invited to video interview on Tuesday evening
Original post by vacschemestudent
How did you get PFO from CC? I thought they would only review apps after deadline? Did you apply for vac scheme or TC there?

Messed up the WG test and missed the cut-off! Was gutted.
Reply 442
Original post by Joris_Bohnson
I just did a load of research on the firm, looked at the competencies they were looking for and what the firm valued.

Also did a few prep tests. The tests themselves weren't too useful (they were generic grad recruitment tests) but the feedback explained what the question was really looking for and what sort of answers all firms want.

Hey, what prep tests did you do? do you have a link? thank you!
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself! Final year non-law student here. Applied for a few vac schemes last year, only got one (spring at silver circle firm) but decided I didn't like the place, so I am applying to a few more this year.

I just fired off my NRF and Hogan Lovells apps for winter vac schemes. Do you know how long it usually takes them to get back to you about interviews for these? Because I presume that these need to be given 'priority' over interviews for the other ones as they happen sooner?
Reply 444
hi everyone,

Does anyone know which firms accept applications from third year students who are studying abroad (and therefore cannot attend an assessment centre if offered)? I heard some are happy to do telephone/skype interviews in place but haven't been able to find any evidence of this online??

I know some offer around £100 travel expenses but I'm in Australia so not really possible! If anyone knows that'd be great.

Thanks!!
Reply 445
Does anyone know what a 'good' score is to get on these verbal and logical reasoning tests? Some of them are ridiculous so i can't imagine firms expect you to be getting 15/15.
Reply 446
Original post by STWO
Does anyone know what a 'good' score is to get on these verbal and logical reasoning tests? Some of them are ridiculous so i can't imagine firms expect you to be getting 15/15.

Practice tests vary a lot, so it's hard to predict.

Did one WG test where I got 25%, which was depressing; I then did the ones on (IIRC) Links' and HogLove's websites and got something like 65% on one and 80% on the other.

Should add that the first one I did was from some company that sell you courses on how to take these so it's quite possible that it's made artificially difficult to make you freak out and buy their product, and it's plausible that the firm practice tests are artificially easy to encourage you to apply, but I still think there's too large a variation in tests to really tell.

Edit: I remember Google had some results on a typical score for a college senior in the US, might be worth checking that. From what I remember a typical score was far from 100% and given that these tests are only a part of the process I doubt they'll be looking for absolute perfection - as long as you're above their cut-off point you're fine
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by STWO
Hey, what prep tests did you do? do you have a link? thank you!

From what I recall, I used the ones on job test prep and assessment day. I just googled "Situational judgement test" and followed a few of the links.
Those who have a BLP AC - how long did they take to get back to you post tests please? Completed mine last Monday and nothing yet. Thanks!
Question about winter vac scheme applications: do you really think it hurts your chances if you apply close to the deadline/on the deadline? I know that the timeframe for winter recruitment is tight, but then I work a full-time job, alongside studying full-time, so it's a bit hard to do them all early. Do you think that firms are understanding of that?
Does anyone know what the benchmark is for HSF's VRT?
Reply 451
Does anyone know if Hogan Lovells winter VS is full already? Just dashing off my application now, but wondering if it's best to wait until spring or summer.
Original post by ajrgroves
7 or 8 working days

Ahh thanks, did they say that to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applied for a Winter VS at NRF about 10 days ago and still nothing. Anyone heard back from them yet?

Will send off BLP Winter VS app on Friday, do you guys think it's too late, since it will only be 3 days before the deadline?
Has anyone heard from Slaughter & May?

Probably too early seeing as it's only been 11 days, but just wondering...
Original post by soph497
Ahh thanks, did they say that to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No that's just about how long it took, already done the AC and waiting on outcome.
Reply 456
BLP winter scheme offer.
Reply 457
Original post by SCG99
BLP winter scheme offer.

Congrats, when was your AC?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 458
Original post by _Fergo
Has anyone heard from Slaughter & May?

Probably too early seeing as it's only been 11 days, but just wondering...

Yes, interview invite today. Absolutely bricking it.
Reply 459
Original post by ma475
When was your AC?

7 days ago.

Quick Reply

Latest