The Student Room Group

HSBC Student Credit Card Help!

Hi all,

So I opened up a HSBC Student bank account thismorning and took the offer for a student credit card (incase of emergency). I found out everything I wanted except one thing.

I plan to only use this card if an emergency ever arouses, so I'm just wondering that if I spend £0 on my card does that mean at the end of the month I will not owe HSBC anything or will I still be charged a small fee for holding the account? Thank you!
Reply 1
You will owe nothing. It is free.
Why get the hsbc card the Intrest is terrible get an 0% card
Reply 3
Original post by niteninja1
Why get the hsbc card the Intrest is terrible get an 0% card

Build credit. Idea is not to use credit in that you spend money you do not have, but to treat it like a debit card so you do not accrue interest but instead have a solid score and financial protection.
But no they shouldn't charge you
Original post by TrojanH
Build credit. Idea is not to use credit in that you spend money you do not have, but to treat it like a debit card so you do not accrue interest but instead have a solid score and financial protection.

Exactly but I started with a 0% Barclays card and have a credit rating of excellent at 19 so clearly I have done something correctly.

I use

Noddle.co.uk

For my free credit score
Reply 6
Exactly but I started with a 0% Barclays card and have a credit rating of excellent at 19 so clearly I have done something correctly.

I use

Noddle.co.uk

For my free credit score

0% for how long? A link?
Original post by TrojanH
0% for how long? A link?

TSB do a 0% card for 20months I believe so do Halifax lloyds barclays.

Middle has a card matcher
Reply 8
TSB do a 0% card for 20months I believe so do Halifax lloyds barclays.

Middle has a card matcher

What's the point of them when those cards are best utilised with very large purchased and not every day spending
Reply 9
Sorry for posting on an old thread but I have a question regarding the HSBC credit card. Did you apply straight away as soon as you opened the account and were you accepted? Did you know your credit score at the time, or was it the first credit that you applied for?

Quick Reply