The Student Room Group

Will unis rank you higher if you attended a grammar school sixth form?

Scroll to see replies

You'll definitely be pushed and being surrounded by super smart people will push you to work hard.

I went to a comprehensive secondary school and I'm now at a grammar school doing A Levels. The difference is big but I definitely think my grades wouldn't be as good if I had gone to the sixth form because at the start of year 12, I was the worst in every class, but that only inspired me to work harder so my teachers would stop looking down on me.

Ultimately, if you think you will work just as hard, and your current school isn't bad, you should stay and spend the extra 2 hours you'll have every day revising or something :biggrin:.
Original post by ellepalmer
Yes I've visited but unfortunately not experienced the teaching as there were only open evenings rather than taster days. Thank you for the advice!

I would still do a pros and cons list of each one its the only way, becayse I cnant tell what the gap is. If its significnat based on results (you should be able to compare) then id be tempted to put up with the commute. If the gap isnt much then youd be thinking about the extra hour a day, familaur teachers etc.

If you wnat the top uni then it might be better to be pushed. You know the schools and we dont. Only writing this to point out nobody can really say because you have the best information and insight when looking at comparing them.

If your aspirations of uni are high, then its not going to do you any harm being pushed.
Reply 22
Its a no brainer. I got interviewed at UCL mech engineering at the open day last year and the first thing he said to me was, "oh so you go to a grammar school" ...

Ps i got in lol

Quick Reply

Latest