Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Awful results - advice would be appreciated

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

Hi people,

It's an understatement to say that I'm disappointed in my A2 results, I got a DDU from Physics,Computing and Math (math being the U). I wasnt expecting brilliant results this year if I'm totally honest, but I was honestly at least expecting to get B/C's from phys and compsci and at least pass maths. I feel I knew the theory to a reasonable standard, and honestly got far better results on mocks and homeworks.I'm just thinking that maybe exam stress killed me and my exam technique was way off. I mean I had straight A's/A*s at GCSE and BBCC at AS.

I had a particularly awful year as well. My dad became seriously ill, there was a death in the family and my mum was made redundant, I got so stressed over it all that mid way through the year I got diagnosed with depression, given antidepressants and sent off to do therapy, all of which was time consuming and the drugs made me very drowsy all the time, besides, I was ,and still am, really set on doing one of those degree apprenticeship programmes instead of Uni, so I applied to a number of them (Jaguar,RollsRoyce,Brose,Qinetiq to name just a few). The applications took me a lot of time, the aptitude tests took time and I had to travel for interviews as well, I eventually got 3 interviews and all of those I turned into offers that I now missed by miles.

I'm just really upset about missing my RR offer, and my offer from Liverpool uni for a MEng in mechatronics and robotics systems. I dont really know how to go about getting back on track now. Do I go back to college to retake A2's and reapply for both uni and apprenticeships? Should I do something completely different? I've read all the different websites with advice, but I'm still lost as to what the best option for me would be. Would it be a good idea to retake my A levels while trying to get into some local engineering company to get some work experience? I'm just confused and clueless at the minute.

Honestly, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did you appl;y for special consideration for your A levels?

Theres no need to panic, although I appreciate you feel your world has fallen apart.

I would get back in touch with RR and Liverpool, explain you got poor results and inform them you will be reapplying next year. Liverpool you probably just need the grades for, but RR, they might be open minded, so you are just trying to id their stance. If you didnt before explain your special circumstances and how they affected you.

I would just go for resits to put it right, its only a year and youve done some of the work already. You cna also use the time to find additional apprenticeships to apply for. Try and do the contacting in the next week and their response might be helpful in making your decision.

Have a think if its really what you wnat to do. You seem to have found areas that you are keen on and have done research about. More than most do.

Maybe if you are thinking about other areas its just a lack of confidence and some shocj because of your results, but ofc have an open mind.

1. Contact relevant people.
    2. Give yourself a week off worrying- you cna do basic research about retakes etc.
    3. Make a decision a bit later when your research is complete and you talked to a few people i.e teachers, RR etc.

You will be more able to see things clearly in a few weeks, as for now just relax, plus do little things you know need to be done and can be completed. Hnag in there.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.