The Student Room Group

Nottingham Uni?

I'm tempted to apply to Notts, as I like the look of the course structure and city and it seems easier to get into if liverpool don't want me.

BUT, I'm a bit worried about the rumours that we are the guinea pigs for their vet school and that we'll only be the 3rd intake they've had, even if it has good hands on teaching. I don't want to work hard for 5 years to find out i cant practice, if the rumours are true. What does everyone think about Nottingham?
Its a very good vet school at a very good university. I applied to nott with absolutely no doubts about the course - it covers everything you need, good teaching and some fantastic lecturers from other vet schools.

The only thing that would putt me off is prejudice from more traditional vets. I've been warned against it by several qualified vets and - whilst I know the prejudice is completely undeserved - it occurred to me it might be difficult to find a job as a newly qualified nott vet. However, thats presuming people don't change their minds and there will still be more modern practices that support Nottingham.

If I were you, I would apply!
Been on work experience today and was given this article here are some of the key parts that might be usefull.
"as a result of the review the school plans to make some minor changes to both the content and delivery of most of the modules taught. However due to the positive feedback it recieved, senior staff do not feel that wholesale changes are required... slight tweaking to specific sessions... the overarching issue, it would be that we were asking the students to do too much in a particular session we now plan to condense the material given, without losing any of the core information, to sharpen their focus... Prof Cobb described exam results as pleasing, especialy considering that staff had established a school form scratch. He speculated that they were likely to match those from Britains other veterinary schools... refused to divulge how the students had done, only confirming some had exceeded expectations while others would be resitting their exams in september... the report justified the integration of clinical studies and small group, case-based learning in the early stages of the course"
I will still be applying to nottingham still as i like the course structure and i just think that if the uni wasnt upto scratch then the rcvs would have closed them down?!?! Up to you hope its helped
Reply 3
The entire course has been devised in consultation with the RCVS - you simply couldn't just set up a vet school without that. Yes, some qualified vets might be prejudiced against Notts vets, but then so are many qualified vets against, for example, Cambridge-qualified vets. In a lot of cases, I'm sure it has far more to do with 'better the devil you know' than making an informed judgement.

Any vet with an ounce of sense (and I'm sure there are plenty!) will be able to see that Nottingham's qualification, albeit the result of a slightly different teaching method, will be just as valid as any other British vet school, as it will have been validated by the RCVS. The only reason it isn't yet validated is because the course is not yet completed, and obviously won't be until the first intake of students reach the end of their 5th year.

A different approach to the course is simply designed to cater for students differently. It may appeal to some, but not to others - that doesn't make it inferior or superior to any other course. A qualified vet from Notts will still have to prove the same 'day one competence' as one from anywhere else, they just may have acquired the skills and knowledge in a different order. And no, it isn't 'easier' to get into than Liverpool - actually the entrance requirements are much more specific. I think the two places are just looking for different things.

Let's face it, science and medicine has come a long way in the last 50 years, which is how long it is since a new vet school opened in the UK. Why shouldn't a new vet course be equally forward-thinking?
Reply 4
Well said! I think some vets will be narrow minded but Ive spoken to several vets, many "old fashioned" and they are very optimistic because notts vets will be very hands on and practical which in my opinion is part of what makes a great vet! Yes Nottingham will have negatives as it is new but it has had millions of pounds worth of funding which would never have been given if the RCVS didnt think it was 99.9% confident of getting accreditation. Plus, several of the lecturers left very comfortable jobs at Cambridge, Bristol, Edinburgh and RVC just to name a few to be a part of the new vet school. Many of these are qualified vets so if they thought that notts wouldnt be accredited or the students would have difficulties finding employment I doubt they would have risked so much to leave their old jobs!

To pin it down to one thing, Notts is innovative and new. To a profession which has seen little change in its teching methods for decades, its a scary thing so I can appreciate the scepticism. But the students are by no means guinea pigs! Yes they are some of the first to go through this but the course structure was scrutinised intensely before the first intake of students, and as with any new course, small tweaks may be needed according to RCVS advice. In fact, many universities are now trying to change their course structure to align with notts because they can see the benefits!

One last point...every single vet school in the UK was once new and without accreditation, yet they are now all some of the best vet schools in the world! Bristol and Cambridge once had to use "guinea pigs" but they are now fantastic vet schools. Once the first lot of vets graduate from notts, a lot of the hype will have died down and employers will see that notts vets are just as good as any other vet! Just maybe slightly more practical :biggrin: sorry i know im picking a fight saying that :p:
Reply 5
One of the reasons that many vets mey not want to employ nottingham graduates is that they havent actually had the chance yet so they cant see what theyll be like when theyre qualified, and they wont for another few years, which will give people plenty of time to see how gd they are
Reply 6
Yup! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Ah excellent advice! About 3 years ago liverpool had serious financial problems and was in danger of shutting down, but look how popular it is now!
Just shows what a few years difference can make!

If I like it when I visit in Sept I might make it my first choice, as I like the hands on aspect of it
Reply 8
I've got a notts offer, and am much happier to go to somewhere that's trying a different approach to other places which just do what they always have done, plus lots of the notts tutors come from the 'old' vet schools apparwently

Sam

Latest

Trending

Trending