Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

A level choices - maths and all sciences

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

I'm choosing all sciences and maths for a level. In gcse I took triple science and got an A* in biology, A in chemistry and an A in physics. In maths I got an A* and I also did additional maths ( a qualification which is a simplified version of a level maths ) and I got a merit in that. Will these a level choices be a big jump based on my gcse results or will I struggle

Great choices! I picked the same, and honestly GCSEs in no way determine how you'll perform at A-Level. If you truly enjoy the subjects you should be fine. Obviously there is a jump and they are hard, but I personally don't think the GCSE to AS jump is that big, and AS to A2 is definitely bigger. For example, at GCSE I got A*s in maths and physics, and As in chemistry and biology. At AS I got 4As, and at A2 A*s in maths and biology, and As in chemistry and physics. My friend who got the same GCSEs (but much better overall) struggled with maths and chemistry- he ended up with an overall B in chemistry a U in maths + an A in biology.

You definitely need to work hard, and if you didn't do much work at GCSE (I pretty much only watched myGCSEscience videos a week before the exam) e.g. didn't start revision soon enough, didn't do enough practice etc. that'll need to change. I recommend you start work as soon as possible. Make sure you don't fall behind on your homework and STAY ON TOP OF YOUR NOTES!!! If you struggle with something then ask for help or find help online, DO NOT wait for it to magically make sense because it won't! I let myself fall behind in physics at AS which backfired and I ended up having to basically teach myself the whole course in April because I didn't understand most of the stuff... and didn't ask for help. You definitely need to understand the basics for everything else to make sense. Do past papers as soon as you can- especially for maths. With maths, watching ExamSolutions videos and doing past papers are pretty much the only things you can do (my friend, despite spending most of his time on maths, didn't do either of those things! So don't do that haha). There are plenty of videos on YouTube for biology and chemistry.. Not very many for physics, but I do recommend that you pay for ALevelPhysicsOnline. I think he only asks for like 3 quid a month? It's not very much and his videos are very helpful (and somewhat entertaining!). And physicsandmathstutor is a great website for all 4 subjects!

Another thing is that, at GCSE, memorising the textbook and not actually understanding the content will give you a decent grade. At A Level this will DEFINITELY not work (with the exception of biology). Exams are based on knowledge application rather than recall most of the time (especially in biology......................... ..). Anyway, good luck! And if you have any subject specific questions or anything else I'd be happy to help!

Nice! Took the same, except I (and quite a few pupils in my school that did GCSE maths early) did AS maths early. So this year I did the 3 sciences at AS and maths at A2. (A*aaa luckily).
    Never really had the greatest chemistry teachers, but check out E Rintoul on Youtube. Personally, I thought his Chemistry videos on youtube were great! For biology use Mr Pollock Biology on youtube, also great. As mentioned before by someone else, do not try and memorise everything, there is too much to cram and you may be asked a lot more application based questions.

physicsandmathstutor is a great website and has a wide range of papers for the different maths modules and old spec science papers. Ask your teacher for more new spec papers. Some are on AQA website, that you can access, and some only your teachers can.

Try to use all the resources you can as its a new spec, our teachers were quite vague in teaching as the new exams are so specific (comparing mark schemes etc) so you need to find the write words for answers which can be difficult. Teachers didn't want to say anything which could be wrong so we had a lot of emails to and from OCR to find out correct terms that they would give marks for.
    Practice 6-7markers a lot, previously the mark scheme would have say 10 points of which you must mention 6 to gain 6 marks, now its just 6-7 points to make which don't have "allow ..., or ...", you have to say exactly what it says in most cases.
    - Do a lot of exam practice (for science)
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.