The Student Room Group
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds

Can't Afford to live whilst at University

I'm going to Leeds Met (1st year) and my accommodation has been booked. However I've seen how much student finance I will get and how much rent goes in the first instalment.. I'll be left with £20 from September to January. What do I do? How will I manage?

My accommodation is already the cheapest I could find, and I won't get financial help anywhere else.. Someone Help!!!
As for how you can get money or sort this out, trying to find a job is an option. There are various groups available that often give money to people in your situation, too. Try looking for Bursaries and Grants :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds
Reply 2
Bank account with an over draft, and a job. Sucks but lots of people make it work!
Original post by Survivingtolive
I'm going to Leeds Met (1st year) and my accommodation has been booked. However I've seen how much student finance I will get and how much rent goes in the first instalment.. I'll be left with £20 from September to January. What do I do? How will I manage?

My accommodation is already the cheapest I could find, and I won't get financial help anywhere else.. Someone Help!!!

There are loans available to students outside the SLC, starting from £1000 I believe. You are on roughly 12%APR, but it's better than starving to death right? Although I have no experience with the loan companies, so I can't really recommend it unless you seriously research what you're getting yourself into

In case you haven't considered/applied for one yet, get a student bank account? the cooperative have a guaranteed £1400 overdraft. Which is what is going to be my lifeline for a couple of months once I start at Brighton. If you haven't got one yet, I suggest going with coop. You'll have to deposit £300 into it, and leave it for ~3 days to activate the overdraft.

Otherwise, you'll either have to beg for money from family members/close friends, or commute from wherever you currently live, if that's cheaper.

Last resort, immediately find a job, preferably as a sex worker as that's where the money is at :biggrin:
Get a student account and overdraw till you get your money
Original post by Survivingtolive

you'll have to do a few things
1. get a job
2. start a business (best ideas are import/joblot based or loan/resale style)
PM me for a few more pointers on the business front

Spoiler

My phone is pay as you go and I already sold my possessions, I really don't shop unnecessarily.. all money would be going towards my weekly shop but I don't know how £20 would cover me for 4 months.. I'll have to work as much as I can I guess

I took a year out as my Mom had surgery and I looked after her.. my Dad earns over that amount but money is tight as it is :/ but thank you so much for the advise.. will deffo take it on board
Do not get a loan at 12% APR. Jesus. Don't be dumb.

A) Get a student bank account with a 0% overdraft - I have a santander student account which has a £1.5k 0% overdraft.
B) Look for bursaries and places who give you free money. Talk to your university student help desk. Explain the situation and don't be embarassed, you'll be one of hundreds doing the exact same thing.
C) Talk to your university job office about getting a part time job either in an external shop or for the student union - eg in the uni bars.
D) Be sensible with your money and work out a realistic plan with your parents etc. Even if you have to borrow some from them, show you can manage your money properly - eg show in a spreadsheet your weekly costs - and they'll be more inclined to help you. Even if you pay them back once you're working if they need the money, not paying interest is better than paying it.

Basically, talk to your university.

But seriously, you should of known this a long time ago and prepared for it. Get going to get something sorted ASAP.

Quick Reply

Latest