The Student Room Group

Google STEP 2017 - Summer Trainee Engineering Programme

Scroll to see replies

np, pm me.
(edited 3 years ago)
I recommend this playlist actually, covers everything you need to know +more https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2_aWCzGMAwI3W_JlcBbtYTwiQSsOTa6P
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bigboateng_
I recommend this playlist actually, covers everything you need to know +more https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2_aWCzGMAwI3W_JlcBbtYTwiQSsOTa6P

Could I watch this as a complete beginner? If not what would I have to know before hand?
Original post by TrojanH
Could I watch this as a complete beginner? If not what would I have to know before hand?

Try watching it first?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Try watching it first?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I am, I just don't want to be out of depth if the video refers to concepts I don't know very well 2/3 videos into the series.
Original post by TrojanH

Yes you can watch it as a beginner but you need to be atleast know the basics of a programming language and the concept of object oritented programming.

this website is actually good, I think I will recommend this compared to the videos as it teaches yoy some basic stuff as well as the kind of problems we solve with certain datastructures. http://interactivepython.org/runestone/static/pythonds/index.html
do you know when will the application open?
Original post by Mayssara Omar
do you know when will the application open?

Not now, but before December probably

Posted from TSR Mobile
hello. good luck in preparation. I'm EE undergraduate and I'm applying too. so, we can prepare together, share experience or whatever
I'll be applying to the above programme this academic year and was wondering if anyone else is going for it.

Feel free to comment if you are, hopefully we can share tips/info about the whole process. I'll also tag a user (bigboateng_) who did the programme this year too for questions etc. *

Bump, sent my app off. Probs gonna gun for Zurich or London

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bump, sent my app off. Probs gonna gun for Zurich or London

I sent it 3 days ago, can I have a look at your CV? Just want to see how competitive it's going to be :tongue:
Just sent my application today, kind of rushed it because I have so much other stuff and I don't think I'll get it in the end anyway. I hope I at least get an interview
I'm from India. Can i apply for the internship too? Is it possible to apply for this on a work-from-home basis?
Original post by aakash_huilgol
I'm from India. Can i apply for the internship too? Is it possible to apply for this on a work-from-home basis?

Yes you can apply for it.

But what do you mean work from home basis? As in work for google from your house, on your own computer, on your own firewall? Haha no.
They'll pay for all the expenses required for you to move to whatever location you go to. Including visa, plane tickets, accommodation, etc. I wouldn't worry :smile:
Reply 54
I applied for it too, but am unsure if I even meet the minimum qualifications :smile: It says on their careers page that you "Must have completed your first or second year of undergraduate studies by summer 2017 and must be graduating in 2019 or beyond" - I have completed my first and second year of undergraduate studies, actually I will be near the end of my third year of undergraduate studies (6th semester) by the time the internship starts. On the other hand, I will most likely receive my Bachelor's degree before 2019, although I am also going for a Master's degree which I will not have before 2019.

It's kinda complicated :wink: Does anybody know what exactly is meant by this requirement? Maybe it's not even strictly enforced after all.

On a side note, I wish Google would give some kind of feedback if you've been ruled out. Or at least give a ballpark estimate how long it's going to take them to come back to you to schedule an interview. I applied nearly a month ago (October 24th) and haven't heard back from them yet. Did Google already contact some of you?

Cheers,
skoog
Original post by skoog
I applied for it too, but am unsure if I even meet the minimum qualifications :smile: It says on their careers page that you "Must have completed your first or second year of undergraduate studies by summer 2017 and must be graduating in 2019 or beyond" - I have completed my first and second year of undergraduate studies, actually I will be near the end of my third year of undergraduate studies (6th semester) by the time the internship starts. On the other hand, I will most likely receive my Bachelor's degree before 2019, although I am also going for a Master's degree which I will not have before 2019.

It's kinda complicated :wink: Does anybody know what exactly is meant by this requirement? Maybe it's not even strictly enforced after all.

On a side note, I wish Google would give some kind of feedback if you've been ruled out. Or at least give a ballpark estimate how long it's going to take them to come back to you to schedule an interview. I applied nearly a month ago (October 24th) and haven't heard back from them yet. Did Google already contact some of you?

Cheers,
skoog

I think this internship is meant for 1st/2nd years, but Google (and most companies) have plenty of other internships for 2nd/3rd years (indeed those are more common). Why didn't you apply for them instead?
Reply 56
I'm from Germany, and the only thing I found for students in Europe were the STEPs - did I miss something?

Edit: You're right. Upon checking their careers page again, there appeared, lo and behold, some internships in Europe for BS, MS or PhD pursuers. Thanks for the heads up, I think I will give it another shot. Applications are closing tomorrow :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by skoog
I'm from Germany, and the only thing I found for students in Europe were the STEPs - did I miss something?

Edit: You're right. Upon checking their careers page again, there appeared, lo and behold, some internships in Europe for BS, MS or PhD pursuers. Thanks for the heads up, I think I will give it another shot. Applications are closing tomorrow :biggrin:

Good luck! Also, I think it is likely that Google would pay for travel expenses for non-Europe internships, so it might be worth looking at them too.
has anyone got interviews yet?
Original post by bigboateng_
has anyone got interviews yet?

Nope, when did you hear last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply