Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Student Finance eligibility

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    After previously studying on a two year HND course, I've taken the last year out as a gap year and chosen to return to my studies in September 2016.
    I have applied and been given an unconditional offer for a place on a one year 'top up' with the hope of completing with a Bachelor of the Arts Degree with Honours.
    After accepting my place, I applied for Student Finance support to cover the cost of my tuition fees but later received a letter claiming that I wasn't eligible for funding due to my chosen course being less than or equivalent to my existing qualification.
    After speaking with a representative from SFE, I was then told that I had used up my 'allowance' of funding although during my last two years of study, I wasn't aware of any such allowance.
    So now I'm stuck and not sure where to turn.
    If anyone has experienced anything similar and can offer some advice, it would be very much appreciated.

    How many years funding have you had? If you've just had 2 years funding, you can get the last year funded.

    That letter you've received sounds confusing. You, from your post, have a HND which is the first 2 years of uni and you want to top it up to a degree, which is the final year. So, unless you've had more than 2 years funding, I can't understand why you'd be refused funding.
    • Thread Starter

    Yes, just the two years for the HND. The representative I spoke with offered no help and seemed exasperated having to tell me that I was not eligible.
    My next plan of action is to call the administrator for the arts department at the campus I will be studying at as she helped me with my UCAS application too.
    Failing that, I'm not sure what to do. If I can't pay for the course, I can't do it. Pretty disappointing after all the effort I've put into securing a place for myself.

    Your chosen uni has a fiance department. You need to get them involved in this. Student finance do fund one year top ups.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.