The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Student Accommodation

I have a problem with payment for my student Accommodation and if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated:

My Student Finance is giving me a bursary of roughly £10k to live on and my accommodation is costing me around £6.5k to £7k. The problem arises from the fact that I'm being paid by term, yet my entire accommodation has to be paid off by the second term, meaning I'll have about £82 to live off of for 2 terms, then a big lump sum of £3.5k for the third term.

Student Finance aren't moving on the matter, and I don't relish the idea of starving to death. I want to ask how are others are dealing with this sort of situation or how have they dealt with this situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bobsta98
I have a problem with payment for my student Accommodation and if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated:

My Student Finance is giving me a bursary of roughly £10k to live on and my accommodation is costing me around £6.5k to £7k. The problem arises from the fact that I'm being paid by term, yet my entire accommodation has to be paid off by the second term, meaning I'll have about £82 to live off of for 2 terms, then a big lump sum of £3.5k for the third term.

Student Finance aren't moving on the matter, and I don't relish the idea of starving to death. I want to ask how are others are dealing with this sort of situation or how have they dealt with this situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Will your accomodation agree on an alternative payment plan? If its private accomodation they might not, but university owned is often more flexible- at the halls I stayed in (not at Middlesex) we could pay in one lump sum, in 3 installments or monthly.

If they won't budge I would recommend using your overdraft. Student bank accounts come with an interest free overdraft, usually set at around £500-£1000 for the first year, depending on the bank. So no charges for using it and you know once your third payment from student finance comes in that you'll be able to pay it off.

Hopefully the overdraft amount would be enough, but if not then you may have to look into getting a job or asking your parents if they can possibly help.
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending