Sick of being a muslim woman

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Have you even studied islam yourself properly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's really sad to know this still goes on. I believe in religion but I don't see it as a way of life, I see it as just a part of life. You're not gonna get satisfaction if you abandon it but stay in your community, I suggest easing it down and being less strict then eventually you can take it off. Don't feel forced Into anything however don't make a sudden change because your community doesn't sound like it's the most accepting. I can't believe we have communities like this in a western country built on freedom, it's no suprise the English are getting fed up with mass immigration, they bring their strict laws with them and Impose it by being Judgemental. Try and get away from it as soon as you can.

(Original post by Edo123)
    You're asking about a religious matter on a predominantly non religious forum. So you're bound to get answers mostly along the lines of "leave your religion".

If I was you I'd focus on my goals and pick a uni that's best suits my career aims, rather than 'which uni will give me more freedom'.

Once you have a degree and are independent then you can decide what you want to do with your life. I'm sure your mother will not interfere that much with you once you're older and have your own family.

Also, you said you have been reading about religion. That's great but just make that sure you are reading from the right sources. Moderation is extremely important in whatever you do.
    she has already said she does not want to be muslim anymore, and has also stated that her community is Toxic i dont think that is a word used lightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeeiqbal)
    Have you even studied islam yourself properly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

OP has said she's studied the Quran many times.

ReputationRep:
    talk to your family about your feelings. you were born into a muslim family; you didn't ask to become one.

I'm in a similar position to yourself. After reading on Islam and what was taught to me since I was a child at Mosque, it didn't seem to add up to me. Manchester Uni is where I'll be commuting to even though I wanted to move out but the commute isn't too far. If my Parents found out, I would probably be disowned and have to give up a lot of close friendships I have since most of my friends are Muslims and probably wouldn't respect my decision as many of them go to the mosque 5 times a day. I guess i'll have to stick it through another 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    You're clearly a troll, get off.
    Why is there always one, that shuts themselves away from what Islam is really like?

I've heard the same sort of thing come from many Muslims. I've heard it from
    Several British born Muslims that "it wasn't pedophillia as girls matured" quicker then" . Even some I considered to be friends before I questioned them on the topic. Let's say they aren't friends anymore due to their condoning of pedophillia and in fact by your refusal to acknowledge this is a common view to normal Muslims, also says something about yourself.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    He is not trolling he was being serious, which is so disgusting.

Have a look at some of his other posts if you dont believe me.
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position to yourself. After reading on Islam and what was taught to me since I was a child at Mosque, it didn't seem to add up to me. Manchester Uni is where I'll be commuting to even though I wanted to move out but the commute isn't too far. If my Parents found out, I would probably be disowned and have to give up a lot of close friendships I have since most of my friends are Muslims and probably wouldn't respect my decision as many of them go to the mosque 5 times a day. I guess i'll have to stick it through another 4 years.
    It's a free country though? If friends disown you, they aren't really friends are they?

Again, this openness from you about the consequences of leaving Islam concerns me about the religion. That's a fair concern right?

ReputationRep:
    This is a very sticky siuation.
    Really sorry you have to go through such OP. You are being controlled and it is upsetting.

I would say living at home in your situation doesn't seem like a good idea. Your freedom is taken away from you. You are no going to find yourself.
    You should have went clearing when you didn't get into manchester? That would have been a good way to get out.
    Anyway, I hope everything works out in the end!

Definitely decline this choice that means you have to live closer to home. Reapply next year and move as far away as possible lol! You don't need that overbearing external control in your life. Get the hell out of there! And good luck with everything.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you TSR for banning that pedophile supporting lowlife .

For those of you who think I’m being influenced or keep asking if I’ve studied Islam, I attended mosque for 8 years, I’ve read the English version of the quran, read books from scholars etc and I don’t identify with any of it. It’s a load of bs. And I think with a lot of muslims, if you weren’tborn into the religion and indoctrinated at such a young age then I doubt many of you would be muslims. How is a piece of cloth on my head going to detract men lol? Modesty comes from within.

And those of you who defend the Prophets marriage to aisha need your heads testing. In what world is it acceptable for a grown man to marry a six year old?

Also, when I refer to the ‘community’ I mean all the peoplewho live in my area but aren’t related to me. I live in a muslim area where everyone knows each other. If I was to take my scarf off I’d be branded a ****who’s trying to attract men.

Thanks to everyone who has given me useful advice. I think I’m going to have to stick it out for a year and then do second year at a different uni. My plan was to move to London after I graduate so hopefully I’ll be able to find a job and build myself a new life there.

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who think I’m being influenced or keep asking if I’ve studied Islam, I attended mosque for 8 years, I’ve read the English version of the quran, read books from scholars etc and I don’t identify with any of it. It’s a load of bs. And I think with a lot of muslims, if you weren’tborn into the religion and indoctrinated at such a young age then I doubt many of you would be muslims. How is a piece of cloth on my head going to detract men lol? Modesty comes from within.

And those of you who defend the Prophets marriage to aisha need your heads testing. In what world is it acceptable for a grown man to marry a six year old?

Also, when I refer to the ‘community’ I mean all the peoplewho live in my area but aren’t related to me. I live in a muslim area where everyone knows each other. If I was to take my scarf off I’d be branded a ****who’s trying to attract men.

Thanks to everyone who has given me useful advice. I think I’m going to have to stick it out for a year and then do second year at a different uni. My plan was to move to London after I graduate so hopefully I’ll be able to find a job and build myself a new life there.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:

Good luck!

I'm sure you'll be brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbread23)
    Islam is a beautiful and peaceful religion. Those who state that they dislike Islam on this thread are uninformed and do not fully understand what Islam promotes, peace and purpose. OP i please recommended reading the Quran with an English translation and youll see the true power of islam as opposed to the war and terror associated links people have especially on this thread. They have been indoctrinated with what the media feeds them. Life is a test and this is one of the challenges that has been inflicted on you, please do not find the wrong way out and leave islam.
    Are you SURE?

ReputationRep:
    The unis with courses left in clearing now are crappier unis then the one I'm going to attend so its too late And thanks for the offer its nice to meet a like minded person as opposed to people who blindly follow religion cause they were born into it
    Ohh okay. Well, at least you have the option of transferring after this year.
    There's many of us actually...we're forced into hiding though....

(Original post by garlicbread23)
    Islam is a beautiful and peaceful religion. Those who state that they dislike Islam on this thread are uninformed and do not fully understand what Islam promotes, peace and purpose. OP i please recommended reading the Quran with an English translation and youll see the true power of islam as opposed to the war and terror associated links people have especially on this thread. They have been indoctrinated with what the media feeds them. Life is a test and this is one of the challenges that has been inflicted on you, please do not find the wrong way out and leave islam.
    But you'll only go to Heaven by following the teachings of Jesus, who is the only true messiah and messenger of almighty God.

Follow the pedo Mo, you'll go to Hell and burn in Satans rate forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sardonic Zarah)
    Someone else exactly like me. I have to deal with Islam for 4 years until I go to uni. If I tell my parents I'm not Muslim, they'll probably disown me
    They'll disown you anyway because they'll either find out or you won't be able to keep it forever. You should prepare for this outcome.

ReputationRep:
    I am a 19 year old muslim female. On the surface, I appear to be the ideal muslim e.g. I wear the hijab, my clothes aren't very fitted (although I do wear skinny jeans- all my tops have to go past my bum). But I'm sick of it. After researching Islam, I don't identify with any of it. I genuinely believe religion is bs.

The thing is, I live in an area which is full of judgemental muslims and my mum would die of shame if I was to take my scarf off and start dressing how I want to (my father died when I was young so she wants her daughters to be seen as respectable as opposed to 'loose'. This year, I gained a place at manchester uni and I saw this as my way out, I thought going to uni away from home would allow me to dress and live how I wanted to. However, I missed the grades for manchester and had to settle for a uni closer to home so now I'm going to be living at home for uni.

So my dilemma is :should I just stick it out for 3 years and move away when I have a job or should I work hard at uni and transfer to a different uni for second year (but I fear being lonely cause everyone will know each other from first year)..whenever I stay over with my friends at their unis, I just love the freedom available to me and all I want is to live my life the way I want to live it rather than adhering to the rules of a religion which I do not identify with
    Try also to go abroad with Erasmus for your second year.

This entire threat is Islamophobic, Xenophobic, Hijabophobic, Threadophobic, RegressiveLeftophobic and all the other phobics (except the genuine fear ones, just the ones that like to be spouted out by an opposing side to suggest someone might hate something, despite a phobia being a fear)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.