Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Need urgent advice please!!!!

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

So to cut this short I don't know what to do. I have done my first year of A levels at a sixth form and I got the grades B E D, not good I know. I don't know whether to redo the year at my current school which I hate by the way or go to a college to redo my A levels with subjects I enjoy more, however the only thing putting me off college is that they are a lot further away (20 min car ride). But I may have to get the bus, also I'm scared as I will know no one at a college What would you do in my situation?

You have to do a pros and cons about staying or going.

Understand why you performed poorly
    How are you likely to perform at A2?
    What do you want to do as a career and what do you want to study at Uni?

If I really didnt like my A levels, then i would change them to soemthing I did like and stood a better chance of getting better grades to get into a better uni.

Bus or car ride doesnt sound that long , especially as you dislike your old school, wnat a fresh start and it might leade you where you wnat to go in just 2 years.

If you are starting A levels fresh then most people wont know each other. Its not a big deal and you will soon make friends if you make an effort.

You know yourself and the situation better than us. If it were me I would be very open to switching to college to study stuff I was interested in that would get me to a better place. Friends and distance wouldnt be an issue. Its not me though, so its your choice.

I got BEDU in my AS, this year I have really struggled with tiredness and general health... despite that, this year I left sixth form with CCD respectively... I also took an extra maths course which I got a B in. I only retook the exams for the E grade. I reckon if you're up to it you could do an EPQ to boost yourself a bit too.

College requires a lot of self discipline, but can help in terms of getting a feel for what uni is like and may offer more course options. if you want to take the risk, I'm sure it'll be fine, besides, it is very unlikely that your final results won't get you into a uni (not necessarily OxBridge, but somewhere will have you)

Restarting may help if you don't mind it, there were times I wish I had - you approach a levels with less naivety, but then I had the extra incentive to carry on as I would've had to start the new spec and do the 2 year course.

I had to travel between sites to do my subjects - it's honestly not the most convenient use of study time, but I'm sure if you'll enjoy it more, you'll be better off further from home... also, don't worry about making friends, it just sort of happens, I had some of my lessons moved to a new site for yr13, and its fine, there will be new kids in the same boat as you, and you can keep old friends too - maybe you can revise together occasionally to be closer to home...

why don't you just resit the exams?

thanks for the advice!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.