Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Biology or physics?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

Hey, so im starting my first year of college in september and i don't know what a-levels to do.
    So I've originally picked Maths, Geography, English Literature and Language combined and Psychology if i get 8 A's (though i doubt it)
    But i realised I cant stand another 2 years of english and I've changed my mind abiut psychology. But i dont kniw what else to take. My absolute dream job is to be an astronaut but i know that its impossible pretty much so i was thinking abiut doing astrophysics at uni (i just find it all so fasinating), but id have to take physics and i cant stand it. And im not even sure im taking astrophysics. I dont really kniw what to expect with it because ive never been taught it before and what careers can come from it.
    The other option is biology. Also, if i take physics, id have to do mechanical maths rather than just normal maths which i dont really know what it is but it sounds really boring.
    Over the past two years, i kinda like science now and i prefer biology over chemistry. But biology doesnt lead to a career that i wanna do. (probably because i dojt have a clue what i want ti do) so i am torn. And im doubting doing a science at all because i didnt take triple science. Ky college says it dorant matter but id hate to be behind. But if not a sciemce then i dont know what else id do.
    I know if i get 8 A's i can pick both but i dont think that us likely. We'll find out tomorrow.
    What do you guys thibk? Thanks a tonne
    (sorry for all the spelling errirs, im tired and cant be botheted correcting yhem. My spelling correctior is messed up)

For me I would always recommend choosing subjects you are best at and enjoy the most, and everything else after that will fall into place. You may think you want to do something right now but in reality when it came to it you may realise it's not for you, assuming you don't change your mind in the next few years anyway. Since you seem to prefer biology, I would just say to go with that. Don't feel held back by only doing double science, it doesn't really matter.

It's clear you have an interest in space, but to actually study it academically with maths and theories may not be something you're passionate about doing. I would definitely not recommend doing physics if you can't stand it and I would stick with biology if its your preferred.

Bottom line is to do what you really enjoy and things will work out from there. Good luck with your GCSE results

Astrophysics does sound fab doesn't it I thought so too last year, and took Physics AS Level even though it was my third worst GCSE (but still an A*) and I found GCSE Physics meh. However, the AS course made me like it better and ended up with decent A in it. -- GCSEs aren't really a good thing to base a subject on, they're so bland and barely scratch the surface, so don't be too quick to judge. Still, I'd be a bit worried if you 'can't stand' Physics - you'll be less inclined to work hard at it :/ What is it you don't like? Perhaps try it out for like 2 weeks and see how it goes?
    And what do you mean you'd have to do 'mechanical maths'? Do you mean that you'll be forced to take M1 in Maths?? Or are you referring to Physics being related to mechanics? The mechanics covered in Physics is much more interesting imo than that in Maths, and if you don't really find it interesting and somewhat easy, I'd question whether Astrophysics is right for you - from what I understand, there is a LOT of mechanics-y stuff in Astrophysics. It is still Physics, after all.

I don't really understand your reasons for not wanting to pick Biology. Biology can lead to the space industry, I'm fairly certain. As can Mathematics, Engineering and other physical sciences probably. If you're good in Biology and you like it, go for it.

Triple science = triple award science? So you took double award? (That's what I'm getting from my NI perspective anyway). If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it. There are double award science students who have outperformed many triple award students in AS Level in my school. In fact, I think first and second in the year are pupils who took double science at GCSE :dontknow:
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What were/are your predicted grades?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.