Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Should I go to uni or not? I don't know!

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

I started what I though was the right choice for me last year, within one week I realised I made a mistake and dropped out.

I did an Access course to get in, and have this year and next that I could apply, after that would have to re do the access as it'll expire.

The Access results I have are enough to get into a range of Forensic science courses, IT courses or Biology, all at my local Uni so I could stay living at home while I learn.

My only issue is I do not know what I want to study or what I want to do after uni. But I have just had a year out and don't want another. I know that if I don't go I am gonna regret it next year, when I could be a year into my degree, not just starting it.

I have a well payed entry level job (£8.65 per hour plus commission), which I would have to hive up.

I don't want to get into debt and waste 3-4 years studying something I don't really want to do. But problem is I don't know what I want and the time is ticking on when I can actually go.

I have had a mixed bag of advice from people, with some telling me to go as its good to have a degree even if just as a backup, and other people telling me not to go as I don't know what I want and could be 2 years into a IT course and realise I want to do lab work instead etc...

What do I do? I know nobody can answer this for me, but I need some help, or advice, what do you guys think?

If you want to study something that you think may lead to a better career, then yeah, go for it.

You already have some work experience which is really good, a degree on its own isn't really worth as much as having done some work experience too. If you do decide to do a degree and give up your current job it's important you do a placement as well somewhere in the summer or even take a placement year. That way employers will see that you've got a degree and experience as well (hopefully relating to your degree).

You only really get one shot at an undergraduate degree (unless you want to do a degree later from the NHS like nursing or becoming an Operating Department Practitioner, Radiologist, etc - these are great careers.), so think hard about what you want to do be doing.

Do you really want to be in an admin job forever or do you want to try something else?

In regards to the debt thing, if you're referring to your student loan you only pay back 9% of your income when you're earning over £21,000 (just think of it as an extra tax). If you never earn over £21,000 you never pay anything back, no one chases you or anything like that. If you lose your job you just let them know and they stop taking the 9%. After 30 years your debt is completely wiped away no matter how much you've paid towards your student loan. It's not like a normal loan, they're not expecting you pay to all back and it's pretty much designed to never be paid back fully anyway unless you inherit lots of money or something

What course did you start last year and why did you drop it? If you started the course and Student Finance paid money to the university then you only have 3 years of funding left even if they only paid out a little bit of money (they give 4 years total).

Think about it now, after three years you'll have gotten the decision of whether you should do a degree or not out of your system and you won't have to think about it anymore because it'll be done and you'll have moved on from university and gotten into a different career than the one you have now.

I'll just say that you may well regret having taken no action than doing something. So think about it and look around yourself, do you want to be doing that job forever? I'm sure it's a nice job right now but do you think it's going to last? Because a degree will help you get higher pay down the road. You can still work part-time while doing your degree.

Lots of people end up going back to university and studying part-time when they're older, if you have the chance of doing it now you might want to just do it. If you do, like I said before, do placements too.

Anyway, good luck

I started a HND in Applied Biology, but within the first week or two I realised I don't want to spend my days staring down a microscope. They didn't pay anything out, I left very early into the year, I think was still in the change of mind period.

The jobs I have now is in a phone shop, so could get that after if I decided the degree was a mistake. But no I don't want to spend the rest if my working life selling phones and topping up little old ladies phones for them...

My main concern is I don't know what I want to study. I'm a little torn between two. Both vastly different.

I would work alongside, but very fare to make plans for that now as I do not know what the timetable will be like. I worry that if I'm in 5 days a week, plus have course work, working alongside may be difficult.

One of the courses I'm looking at has a mandatory 40 week placement year.

I KNOW I'll regret not going. But I'll only get to go once, and don't want to study the wrong thing.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.