The Student Room Group

Why do girls always do better than boys at GCSEs?

Report.

My theory is that girls physically and mentally mature earlier.

Scroll to see replies

Interesting study. Maybe because they generally outnumber us?
Reply 2
Original post by ColossalAtom
Interesting study. Maybe because they generally outnumber us?
No, there are 5% more males born than females.
Original post by NJA
No, there are 5% more males born than females.

Source?
Obviously its because they mature quickly as they begin to realize that they are disadvantaged in society.
:lolwut:
Reply 6
Original post by shohaib712
Obviously its because they mature quickly as they begin to realize that they are disadvantaged in society.

Say what now?
Men are more extreme- the cleverest humans are men, and the stupidest are men. Women are more centred around the middle.

/thread
Original post by NJA
Report.

My theory is that girls physically and mentally mature earlier.

It's because their menstruation cycles allow them to hold more information. Look it up m9
Study sociology at A-level, there's a whole unit about this.
Because, they continually have to prove themselves to the morons that say stuff like 'Girls/women should be in the home' etc, so naturally they're going to do better because they put more effort in.
I honestly can't give an answer to it. It's merely a statistic and I don't think it should prove anything. I know girls who failed all their exams, and I know girls who did really well - likewise for boys. I think it is a geographical thing because in my sixth form, the boys outweigh the girls in terms of grades by far, and there is an even mix of us. I don't know, just one of those things :P

It boils down to the person I think. If you're prepared to learn and work hard, you will succeed.
Women have a more concentrated level of intellect, meaning the range gap between the lowest performing females and the highest performing females is much smaller than it is for males. This, incidentally, is why men are more likely to be mentally underdeveloped and also why men are more likely to be academic geniuses.
most boys couldn't care less about their gcses, girls on the other hand tend to take things more seriously.
It's because education has been feminised and most teachers are feminazis who hate men.

Plus it's the whole "white male privilege" attitude that has failed many working class white boys, as they're fine as they're "white male", no matter if they have no positive male figure in their life and come from a poor background; as they're white male so they are "privileged" which is a load of tosh.
From experience, the boys in my year didn't bother or care as much as girls when it comes to school.
I remember on results day a group of them were laughing about how they got Ds and Us
This is quite interesting actually - there are probably tons of factors involved but heres one thats been touched on beforehand.
Girl's have a more concentrated iq range - i.e. there are less girls who have extremely low iqs but equally less girl geniuses. But the thing is these generally even out so the mean iqs for both genders are the same.

So now you ask well then why do gcses not reflect this.

Well maybe because GCSEs are not rigorous tests. While it is discriminating to a degree, the true upper end have capabilities WAY WAY beyond the full ums content of GCSEs. So the fact that there are more boy idiots due to the wider iq range is accounted for by the GCSE grades, but the higher proportion of boy geniuses is not accounted for because the A* grade does not allow the geniuses to distinguish themselves. The the boys' disadvantage at the lower end (more low iq people) is not able to be compensated by advantage at the upper end.

Here's a gross oversimplification to illustrate
Imagine a world where intelligence has a rating 0-10. Say an exam's content can only test capabilities up to rating 5 . The boys' true intelligence distribution might be this:
0 ,0,0,0, 10,10,10,10
and the girls :
pretty even -both have the same average

but exam test ratings would come out as following for boys:
0,0,0,0,5,5,5,5 - a mean of 2.5
and girls:
5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5 - a mean of 5
even though the true iq means for both groups is 5, the cap off at five skews the tested ratings
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply