The Student Room Group

Is it worth appealing 3 A's that could be A*'s?

Look at the Biology, Chemistry and Physics UMS marks.gcse results.jpg

From what I understand, I was 2 UMS marks off an A* in Chemistry and 6 UMS marks off an A* in Biology and Physics.

Is it worth doing or should I just accept the 3 A's for what they are?

Scroll to see replies

You could go for a remark but subjects like those are unlikely to change. If it was something like english or history (essays) I would say go for it, but those subjects have specific mark schemes where you need to have the exact thing for the mark
I mean, 6 UMS is quite a lot to gain to get a better grade, but if you're going to remark Chemistry, you may as well do them all. Great results, by the way! Well done! :h: :congrats:
Reply 3
Original post by JourneyToSuccess
I mean, 6 UMS is quite a lot to gain to get a better grade, but if you're going to remark Chemistry, you may as well do them all. Great results, by the way! Well done! :h: :congrats:

Thank you! It's just so, so close and I wanted to walk away with more than one A*.
Reply 4
They can go up as well as down and Science grading is usually quite precise. Just leave it.*
A science paper is unlikely to go up 6Ums, and unless you are considering applying to Oxbridge/Medicine the no. of A*s you get probably wont matter
My mate got the same as you in bio and took a remark and they gave him the marks tbh !! I would do it if you really want to. I listened to teachers and didn't get a re mark for as history and I regret it now (although it hasn't stopped me from getting into medicine).
Original post by HopelessMedic
A science paper is unlikely to go up 6Ums, and unless you are considering applying to Oxbridge/Medicine the no. of A*s you get probably wont matter

Just saying, many medical schools don't care about the number of A*'s you receive.
Original post by Sacred Ground
Just saying, many medical schools don't care about the number of A*'s you receive.

True, but quite a few do whereas for other courses GCSE's are almost irrelevant once you have passed Maths and English
Reply 9
I don't think it's worth it, to be honest. I mean, it's pretty unlikely you'll end up going up a grade in Biology and Physics and although it's more likely with chemistry, it's still a stretch considering how specific the mark scheme is. As previously mentioned, it's not like English etc. where the marks are a lot more subjective. Good luck though, if you do go for it and congratulations on your results!
Just focus on getting your A's and A*s for you A Levels, that's more important anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm getting one of my history papers remarked to hopefully push it up to an A*. I'd say go for it :smile:
Original post by Fractite

From what I understand, I was 2 UMS marks off an A* in Chemistry and 6 UMS marks off an A* in Biology and Physics.

Get a remark mate. Just appeal.
@Fractite Are you the one who's paying for the remarks or your school? Bear in mind that each remark costs around £35. Tbh, you're not that likely to go up by 3 more marks in both Biology and Physics, so I wouldn't recommend a remark in these two. As for Chemistry, it depends whether the subject is important to you - are you taking it in college?

Don't worry, I got 358 UMS in Biology and 359 UMS in Physics, so I know how you feel. I'm not going to bother getting a remark for either, since these are only GCSE results.

Focus on your A Levels instead. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Fractite

I wouldn't get the two sciences remarked if I were you, but English Language is really tempting since you're two marks away, so talk to your teacher about that.

By the way I also do Music and Computing lol
Reply 14
Remarks can go down as well. The probability that any of these will become a*s is quite low, I would imagine. Slightly higher for Chem of course.
Original post by surina16
I'm getting one of my history papers remarked to hopefully push it up to an A*. I'd say go for it :smile:

What did you get?
And if you know, what did sail get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by honour
@Fractite Are you the one who's paying for the remarks or your school? Bear in mind that each remark costs around £35. Tbh, you're not that likely to go up by 3 more marks in both Biology and Physics, so I wouldn't recommend a remark in these two. As for Chemistry, it depends whether the subject is important to you - are you taking it in college?

Don't worry, I got 358 UMS in Biology and 359 UMS in Physics, so I know how you feel. I'm not going to bother getting a remark for either, since these are only GCSE results.

Focus on your A Levels instead. :smile:

I am taking Chemistry in college, and thanks for the advice.
Do chem and Bio.

My gcse bio went up by 18 UMS.

My chemistry mark did not change tho.

This was 3 years ago, and may be a extreme example, my handwriting was barely legible.
Original post by AdeptDz
What did you get?
And if you know, what did sail get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

9A* and an A in history :smile: you? X
Nah don't know what sahil got yet :redface:
Will you be paying for the remarks or do you expect ypur school to pay?

Quick Reply