The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Besides hugging em, I'd order his favorite pizza, grab a six pack of beer, then together we'd just kick it on the couch binge watching past episodes of I Am Cait
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd be fine with it, as long as they are fine with being removed from my will and moving out of my house.
Reply 3
"Cool"
a young kid wouldn't even know or care about what transgender is unless they're being brainwashed by the parents or the media
I d do my best to support them no matter what :smile:
Reply 6
By son, I meant a teenage son (around 16)
Reply 7
"No matter how you dress or whatever hormones you take, you will always be a man because God made you as a man. You're just deluded and only faith in Jesus Christ can help you."

I would not allow him to dress like a woman under any circumstances. It would be unloving for me, as his Father, to allow him to continue living a life of delusion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ladbants
By son, I meant a teenage son (around 16)

i would not support it because a teenager is in no state of mind to make a life-changing decision of such caliber. many people who go through sex change regret it and commit suicide. i read somewhere the doctor who founded sex reassignment surgery considered transgenderism to be a psychiatric disorder.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ill tell him to be grateful for who he is and for his life, and not to make a foolish choice.
Reply 10
Teenagers are also ones to kill themselves (a life changing decision) at a young age because people don't understand them and hate them. Also not all trans people have sex reassignment surgery or take hormones for example, a singer might not want to take testosterone for fear that they might not be able to sing well again.

Also don't say 'transgenderism.' It's 'being transgender' or you don't say anything. Also any doctor who founded sex reassignment surgery is dead and from the 1930's. Would you listen to a person from the 1930's on much else now, like what clothes to wear? Yeah, no.
Disappointed inside but on the outside I would put on a supportive face for him
Sooo... I have a daughter now? *shaking intensifies as years of not buying cute dresses and clothes builds up into an organza and tulle filled tsunami*
If their below 16, I wouldn't have it and i certainly wouldn't allow surgery.

If they're over 16/18, I guess I can't do nothing about it as they're an adult but will still love them.
This is actually a toughy. I'm quite liberal when it comes to sexuality and what you identify as. I mean, I think it's ridiculous that some people identify as cats and wolves (damn furries :angry:) but at the same time it's like 'if it makes you happy, you do you'.

That said, there is a shockingly high attempted suicide rate for transgenders (~41% according to some studies). However, whether this is due to societal discrimination, or regret/unhealthy psyche to begin with, I have no clue. I guess I'd be worried, I mean If my son goes through with this lifestyle, he's opening himself up to bullying, trolling, ridicule, persecution and in some cases physical violence just for him being himself(herself?).

I'd have quite a few long talks with my son, I'd listen, and understand where he is coming from, because nothing is worse as a child than your parents not understanding who you are, and forcing their views of who you should be on you. But (ready the pitchforks) I would try and dissuade him from the choice for a few years. Not actively forcing him into a 'manly' way of being, but encouraging him to find a middle ground where he is happy as his gender/in his own body, but also remains himself in personality and preferences.. if that makes any sense? Above all though, I'd be supportive of him and his decisions.

There's a quote I like alot that answers why I'd be so supportive, to paraphrase it "when we try and be someone we are not, either we succeed and feel as we have lost ourselves, or we fail. Either way, we despair. (So be yourself)" Really not doing the quote justice :laugh:. Doesn't mean you can't try and improve, or try and fit into societal norms abit better. But above all you shouldn't change what fundamentally makes you, you, to achieve that, because you'll be more miserable if you do, than if you go against the grain of what society deems 'acceptable'.

Ofc it's hard to give a real reaction when so much of the scenario is left to the imagination, like whether he wants gender-reassignment surgery or not, but the above is just how I'd react to the general situation at first.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd support them and make sure everything is done properly to ensure the right decisions and assessments are made.
I'd they're still a child, that to me wouldn't be a concern as they may grow out of it. I could never understand why parents will allow a child to undergo sex change they could regret when they're older.
If they are over 16 I'll be understanding and support them but I would not be ok with them undergoing sex change
I would be initially disappointed. If I were to have a child I would want a son.

I would fully support them morally and what not but if at any point I would be asked to pay for surgery or hormones I would refuse. I support the stance of "If it makes you happy then fair enough" but I am not paying for someone else happiness that has a probability of becoming short lived and ending in suicide.
Original post by rellamy
Also any doctor who founded sex reassignment surgery is dead and from the 1930's. Would you listen to a person from the 1930's on much else now, like what clothes to wear? Yeah, no.

Nonsensical example. We don't disregard the scientific works of someone simply because they aren't alive anymore. Einstein died in 1955. Why should we listen to what he said about quantum physics? Would you listen to a person from the 1930's on much else now, like what clothes to wear? Yeah, no.
Original post by Ladbants
If you don't have a son, pretend that you do...

You have to accept anything your children through at you really. If they're gay, then they're gay, and same with transgender. You don't want to make them feel isolated, so just comfort them and show them love through their difficult time.

Latest