The Student Room Group

Good enough for Russell Group or Oxbridge?

I dream of going to a very well-respected university to pursue a career in sciences, Chemistry in particular. I got my GCSE results today, and I achieved 3A*s and 7A's altogether.
I understand that GCSEs don't matter as much as A-Levels, but what are my chances right now of going to Oxford or Cambridge university?
Just out of curiosity really. :smile:

Also, congratulations to everyone with their results today!
Your chances are technically zero until you've completed your A-Levels, so I'd say work hard in your A-Levels and I'm sure you'll achieve highly.
More likely at Cambridge than Oxford as they apparently don't look at GCSEs as much
At any other russel group university yeah your chances are very high :smile:
Original post by LJStudent
Your chances are technically zero until you've completed your A-Levels, so I'd say work hard in your A-Levels and I'm sure you'll achieve highly.

Wtf kind of response is this?
Reply 5
Your chances are pretty good, if you get AAA or above you're absolutely fine on the academic side, but did they tell you that the academic side is usually the easy part for most applicants? Standing out with your PS and smashing the admissions test is what gets you the interview, and the interview… that's a whole different story for another thread. But yes, academically you have the credentials if you go on to do well in A levels
Reply 6
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
More likely at Cambridge than Oxford as they apparently don't look at GCSEs as much

Ahh, I see. I did hear this from a friend of mine but I wasn't sure if she actually knew or not haha.. Thankyou. :smile:

Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
At any other russel group university yeah your chances are very high :smile:

Interesting. Thankyou!

Original post by zayn008
Your chances are pretty good, if you get AAA or above you're absolutely fine on the academic side, but did they tell you that the academic side is usually the easy part for most applicants? Standing out with your PS and smashing the admissions test is what gets you the interview, and the interview… that's a whole different story for another thread. But yes, academically you have the credentials if you go on to do well in A levels

Wow, I didn't realise how much of a role the interviews really played. I'll keep that in mind. For now though, I'll keep working hard and aim for AAA in my A-Levels. Thankyou for your response. :smile:
Ffs so many carbon-copy Oxbridge threads recently :colonhash:

Please, everyone just look look at the existing threads because everything said there is precisely what will apply to you as well.

Bottom line is, A levels are far more important than GCSE's so concentrate on those, obviously better grades increases your overall chances by a little bit, but they rely far far more on their own admissions tests and interviews, so even if you had 4 A*s at A level if you did poorly in those then you wouldn't get an offer. Please, everyone who is still wondering, this is the same for you all *sigh*.

Quick Reply

Latest