The Student Room Group

Has anyone here applied for Premier Pathways?

It's a programme where you're a teaching assistant for two years and do two modules from the University of Buckingham. Once you've done that, after the two years you get a PGCE and a QTS, with the option of continuing to a masters. Oh and the two years is paid as well at £15k a year.

http://www.premierpathways.co.uk/graduates

Has anyone here applied for it? Just wanted to chat with other people who have applied :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I've applied for it! Just went to the country wide training day in milton keynes the other day and I start in a week or so, it's a pretty good scheme. You applied or thinking of applying?
Reply 2
Original post by fahema_emma
Yeah I've applied for it! Just went to the country wide training day in milton keynes the other day and I start in a week or so, it's a pretty good scheme. You applied or thinking of applying?

I've applied for it and I've been into the interview, which went amazingly. I've also registered my DBS with them which has gone through, and got an email a few days ago saying that they wanted to see my DBS. That's the stage I'm at so far.

Although I applied pretty late and only had my interview a month ago! When did you have yours?

Is there any chance you could explain how the process went for you? and what happened after you got your DBS? They've not really explained what the next steps and stuff will be with
Yeah sure.

So I applied online in early June, had my interview 2 days later, but the email for the interview date said registration rather than interview so I assumed they'd already decided to take me on. (Which they did).
After that paid for my DBS, they made me write a short paragraph for my profile that potential schools will look at. After that I had a couple interview at schools, I was successful and chose the school I liked most.
Then I had to sign my premier pathways contract, and fill in a university of buckingham pre-pgce application (literally just details of your grades, address and work experience etc. nothing tedious).
And that's it.
They had a training day recently in milton keynes, I went to that (did you?) It was quite good,
I start at my secondary school in Monday the 5th of September! This way is much easier in my opinion, no long cover letters or tedious application forms, they basically cut all the crap out thank God.
It's an awesome programme, good luck getting your placement. Have you had any interviews with schools yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yeah sure.

So I applied online in early June, had my interview 2 days later, but the email for the interview date said registration rather than interview so I assumed they'd already decided to take me on. (Which they did).
After that paid for my DBS, they made me write a short paragraph for my profile that potential schools will look at. After that I had a couple interview at schools, I was successful and chose the school I liked most.
Then I had to sign my premier pathways contract, and fill in a university of buckingham pre-pgce application (literally just details of your grades, address and work experience etc. nothing tedious).
And that's it.
They had a training day recently in milton keynes, I went to that (did you?) It was quite good,
I start at my secondary school in Monday the 5th of September! This way is much easier in my opinion, no long cover letters or tedious application forms, they basically cut all the crap out thank God.
It's an awesome programme, good luck getting your placement. Have you had any interviews with schools yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've decided to drop Edustaff, they've been a bit **** with me so just ended up applying for other jobs, and I've already gotten one and start on Monday. I got to the stage where I would be going to schools to be interviewed but that just didn't happen, and the person who registered me has ignored me since I've registered (Not replied to my multiple emails and it's been 6 weeks now).

The school I've got a TA position with do schools direct as well, so that'll prob be the route I take to become a teacher.
All the best with your school from Monday! Hopefully you'll smash it!
I got a call from someone for EduStaff today too. He introduced me to the scheme as well. I'm thinking about it, and it seems pretty good (Maybe a little too good to be true).

He's telling me because it is independant of UCAS, I do not have to pay the tuition fee and can have a little salary.
Reply 6
Original post by 0range
I've decided to drop Edustaff, they've been a bit **** with me so just ended up applying for other jobs, and I've already gotten one and start on Monday. I got to the stage where I would be going to schools to be interviewed but that just didn't happen, and the person who registered me has ignored me since I've registered (Not replied to my multiple emails and it's been 6 weeks now).

The school I've got a TA position with do schools direct as well, so that'll prob be the route I take to become a teacher.
All the best with your school from Monday! Hopefully you'll smash it!

Finally got a call back from edustaff... Almost 3 months on.. They can **** right off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yeah sure.

And that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi fahema_emma, I'm looking into applying for this for next Sep (2017) and wondered whether I could speak to you about your experience of it so far?
Thanks.
Reply 8
Original post by 0range
It's a programme where you're a teaching assistant for two years and do two modules from the University of Buckingham. Once you've done that, after the two years you get a PGCE and a QTS, with the option of continuing to a masters. Oh and the two years is paid as well at £15k a year.

http://www.premierpathways.co.uk/graduates

Has anyone here applied for it? Just wanted to chat with other people who have applied :biggrin:

Did you manage to find any more information about this?
Many thanks.
Reply 9
Hiya

I'm thinking about applying for this too. I was wondering how you structured your CV ? in order to apply for it

Thanks.
Reply 10
Hi all, thought I'd write about my experience with PP to help others make their decision.

Firstly, I should say I have 8 years experience working with kids as a football coach and a 2.1 degree in biochemistry, but very little hands on teaching experience.

Premier Pathways is a 2 year scheme laid out as follows:
Terms 1 & 2: Teaching Assistant
Term 3: 50% teaching timetable (2/3 lessons a day), 50% TA/pastoral/planning
Terms 4, 5 & 6: 80% teaching timetable (4 lessons a day) and study towards PGCE

I applied on their website, where you simply write your name, email and attach your CV. I had a recruiter from Edustaff (seems to me they own and run PP) who booked me in for an interview a few days later at their offices in Stratford. The staff at the offices are great, especially the recruiter who was an ex-teacher himself. The interview was pretty informal; we spent most of our time talking about football! He then said he'd had a job come in a few weeks ago that would start at the Term 3 phase, missing out on the Teaching Assistant part. He got in touch with the headteacher at the school and booked me in for an interview a few days later.

Over the next few days I spoke to the recruiter every day, he was very professional and answered every question I had, as well as making me feel confident and prepared for the interview. On the day of the interview, I taught a lesson and had a formal interview with the head and assistant head, and later that day I was offered the job starting in January!

Obviously I dropped dead lucky with the job, but my recruiter also said there were several other opportunities starting in September 2017 on the 2 year course. With it being a new course that pays slightly less than TeachFirst I can see why people would turn away, however, I felt more enthused about this programme due to the amount of support I received from day one and will supposedly continue to receive. I'm also at a school only half hour away from where I live, whereas I know TeachFirst could potentially send you anywhere in the country.

Overall, I'm really excited to start my new job on January 3rd and only 3 weeks ago didn't have a clue what I was doing!
Yeah sure.

And that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

I'm a third year at univeristy, and was wondering does this programme have placements in primary schools or is only in secondary schools.

Thanks,

Fatima
Is anyone currently doing this course or has done it? Would love to know your review of it so far as I'm thinking of applying for primary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,

I have not yet started the Premier Pathways (PP) scheme yet, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents anyway, for what it is worth and let you know my experience.

I called Edustaff office in Birmingham, in regards to the PP scheme late on Friday in December, got an email back on Monday to say I will be called by David to start the registration process. I received an email from him on the same Monday, detailing what I needed to bring with me, GCSE certificates, DBS certificate, if I had one, contact details for references, proof of address, photo ID, CV and to write a short paragraph that would be sent out to schools, to give them an idea of who I was and my previous experiences. When I went to see David, I handed over my docs to Hayley, the compliance officer, had a brief chat with David and said he will start looking at schools for me, once my references arrived. Obviously, as it was Xmas, my references, who were my university lecturers didn't get back with references until this week (Jan 9th). When Edustaff received the references, David sent out my details to prospective schools and I received a call the day after, telling me that a school wants me in for an interview this week for the role of TA. I went on Friday (Jan 13th) and am currently waiting to hear back from the school, as to whether or not the school want to take me on or not.

So far my experience has been really good, David and Hayley have been really helpful and I feel as if I can go to them for any help or advice. I am really impressed at the speed of everything, both David and Emily are really prompt with their email and phone calls. I was also pleasantly surprised that I received interest from a school a day after my details were sent out. I hope I get the position as TA so I can really kick on in my teaching career.

Will post again for an update, if anyone wants to read it lol. Good luck everyone!
Yeah sure.

And that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, can I ask if you have you started your role as TA at the school, or the 2 year premier pathways scheme in which you do a PGCE and gain QTS?
Reply 15
I'm wondering about applying for this scheme and reading this thread, it looks pretty good. Just wondering if you have to work at a school near Buckingham or if you can work at any school? I was hoping to do my teacher training while living at home to save money, but I'm hours away from there!

Thanks
Hi,

When you fill in the registration form you can pick the areas in which you want to work in. Then when you meet one of their consultants face to face you can tell them how far you are willing to travel and they'll try and find schools for you in the area you want. For example, at my consultation I said that I don't want to travel any more than 45 minutes from my house and they were okay with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I have applied
Reply 18
hi i am thinking of applying aswell, i am wondering if they care so much about the grades for example graduating with a 2:2 instead of a 2:1 or 1st ?
Reply 19
Original post by amarjit18
Hi all,

I have not yet started the Premier Pathways (PP) scheme yet, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents anyway, for what it is worth and let you know my experience.

I called Edustaff office in Birmingham, in regards to the PP scheme late on Friday in December, got an email back on Monday to say I will be called by David to start the registration process. I received an email from him on the same Monday, detailing what I needed to bring with me, GCSE certificates, DBS certificate, if I had one, contact details for references, proof of address, photo ID, CV and to write a short paragraph that would be sent out to schools, to give them an idea of who I was and my previous experiences. When I went to see David, I handed over my docs to Hayley, the compliance officer, had a brief chat with David and said he will start looking at schools for me, once my references arrived. Obviously, as it was Xmas, my references, who were my university lecturers didn't get back with references until this week (Jan 9th). When Edustaff received the references, David sent out my details to prospective schools and I received a call the day after, telling me that a school wants me in for an interview this week for the role of TA. I went on Friday (Jan 13th) and am currently waiting to hear back from the school, as to whether or not the school want to take me on or not.

So far my experience has been really good, David and Hayley have been really helpful and I feel as if I can go to them for any help or advice. I am really impressed at the speed of everything, both David and Emily are really prompt with their email and phone calls. I was also pleasantly surprised that I received interest from a school a day after my details were sent out. I hope I get the position as TA so I can really kick on in my teaching career.

Will post again for an update, if anyone wants to read it lol. Good luck everyone!

That's not premier pathways, that's just you getting a job as a TA.

Quick Reply

Latest