The Student Room Group

Maths C3 - Remainder Theorm.. Question Help?

Ok, So I was stuck on yet another question from the Edexcel C3 Modular textbook. Exercise 1D(i) question D...

Q) Use the remainder to express the following improper fractions into 'mixed' number form...

2x2+4x+5x21\frac{2x^2+4x+5}{x^2-1}

Can anyone check my answers below and tell me what I can do to improve. I'm not sure whether I'm quite right with my answers :frown:
Remainder Theorm Exe1D(i) Q(D) answser pg1.jpg
Attachment not found
Reply 1
Try splitting the denominator up from x^2-1 = (x+1)(x-1) which is the difference of 2 sqaures
Reply 2
i haven't looked at the question/working but that the first step i would take.
Reply 3
Cant you just use the long division to get 2 +(4x+7)/(x^2-1) but yeah your way is acceptable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Philip-flop
Ok, So I was stuck on yet another question from the Edexcel C3 Modular textbook. Exercise 1D(i) question D...

Q) Use the remainder to express the following improper fractions into 'mixed' number form...

2x2+4x+5x21\frac{2x^2+4x+5}{x^2-1}

Can anyone check my answers below and tell me what I can do to improve. I'm not sure whether I'm quite right with my answers :frown:

As ironic as it sounds, it's a much shorter way to use long division instead.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks guys. Yeah in actual exam conditions I would most likely be using long division instead of the remainder theorm.
Original post by Philip-flop
Thanks guys. Yeah in actual exam conditions I would most likely be using long division instead of the remainder theorm.

It's a bit long winded with polynomials on the denominator :/
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest