The Student Room Group

Will universities accept a D in maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jessicaac
I'm applying to university this year for 2017 and for the life of me I just cannot hit the C grade in maths. Will universities still consider me or just bypass me?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I got into college and uni with a D but had to complete a foundation year and small maths test to get into uni as my college grades weren't what they wanted
Reply 21
Aim for a C at least, but if in doubt, there is always clearing!
Reply 22
Pretty much mandatory for about 98% of unis. And mandatory whether you go to the 2% that don't as it'll be mandatory when you start working. And if you decide you want to work at a job that doesn't require a C (i.e McDonalds), it'll be pretty mandatory unless you want to be serving chips for the rest of your lifd.
Reply 23
Original post by Zeeiqbal
My advice would be to not give up and carry on retaking. Make sure your motivated when your revising. Get into a daily habit of constant revision. Do topic by topic. I retook my maths around the same amount of times as you. & today I finally got a C, feel absolutely great that I no longer have to study maths. Although, I got accepted by all 4/5 universities who didn't really mention a grade C on my conditional offer. But it's best off to to retake as when you get a job they will expect you to have passed your Maths & English. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done to you.
I will have to try and find a technique then hopefully next time I'll ace it🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Convex
Pretty much mandatory for about 98% of unis. And mandatory whether you go to the 2% that don't as it'll be mandatory when you start working. And if you decide you want to work at a job that doesn't require a C (i.e McDonalds), it'll be pretty mandatory unless you want to be serving chips for the rest of your lifd.

I'll pass on serving chips for the rest of my life.
I have good grades overall it's just maths letting me down👎🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by skeptical_john
OK but I guess you were doing that for the other resits? Were you significantly closer than the previous time?

I had U,U,G,F,D,D but this time I felt like I'd answered so much more than last time I got a D

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had U,U,G,F,D,D but this time I felt like I'd answered so much more than last time I got a D

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry for asking so many questions just that I am going into maths tuition myself and I find it interesting that someone like yourself who is clearly motivated and able has struggled.

My suggestion would be to read about the science of learning for example

Books
Make it stick
Peak Secrets from the New Science of Expertise
Blog
http://www.learningscientists.org/blog/2016/8/23-1

That and get a better teacher though we have little control over this
Reply 27
Original post by skeptical_john
sorry for asking so many questions just that I am going into maths tuition myself and I find it interesting that someone like yourself who is clearly motivated and able has struggled.

My suggestion would be to read about the science of learning for example

Books
Make it stick
Peak Secrets from the New Science of Expertise
Blog
http://www.learningscientists.org/blog/2016/8/23-1

That and get a better teacher though we have little control over this

If you don't ask you don't know🙂
I will certainly take a read
I will also try and find some books, are there any suggestions you might make?
The teacher is actually the best one I have had so I think I'll persevere and stick it out and see where I get next time around

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying to university this year for 2017 and for the life of me I just cannot hit the C grade in maths. Will universities still consider me or just bypass me?

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QU

Well depends how you want to do uni? You will probably not be accepted into some russel group uni, but a lot of universities with foundation year courses might.
You need at least 5 GCSEs C-A grade, two of these have to be English and Maths, in order to get into any university. It's a law now that you need at least Cs in English and Maths.
Maths - the advice i can give you is keep repeating past papers , if you dont understand a question , post it on Tsr & ill help you, btw do you do higher or foundation?
Hi,So basically I got a D (59) marks whereas I needed 60 marks. Is it worth for me remarking it? If yes I checked the website how do you enquire for a remark? And how much does it cost?
Reply 32
Original post by Runescapian
You need at least 5 GCSEs C-A grade, two of these have to be English and Maths, in order to get into any university. It's a law now that you need at least Cs in English and Maths.

I've got other GCSEs at C and above 2 of which are English

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by ItisAyaz
Maths - the advice i can give you is keep repeating past papers , if you dont understand a question , post it on Tsr & ill help you, btw do you do higher or foundation?

I've done a fair few past papers to the point where I was answering 90% of the paper for both one and 2 and getting them right. I do foundation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Rosie_xxxoo
Hi,So basically I got a D (59) marks whereas I needed 60 marks. Is it worth for me remarking it? If yes I checked the website how do you enquire for a remark? And how much does it cost?

Check your exam office/reception at your school or college

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've done a fair few past papers to the point where I was answering 90% of the paper for both one and 2 and getting them right. I do foundation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont do a few past papers , do the whole lot of past papers.This is without help & find out where you are making mistakes , sort that topic area out & re-answer that paper!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, northampton university will take you, you just need 280-320 UCAS points

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you have to have a C unless they're offering for you to do it there if you fail. But that's pretty rare.

I've seen people on here do amazingly well at A2 but aren't allowed in because they didn't get a C in Maths or English.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending