The Student Room Group

• The A2 journey to A*A*A* •

So I had started a study blog thing for grow your grades, but I didn't really update it and it would be fab if I was actually organised for Year 13. :colondollar:

Last year my goal was to get AAAA, I ended up not taking an exam for History because it's linear and I'm just gonna take exam at the end of next year instead. It's ~seemingly~ meant to be less stressful haha. But in the end, I managed to get AAA for AS which I was not expecting at all - so the sky's the limit. I hope everyone got what they wanted on results day! :smile:

The goal is a tad ambitious, but why not ya know, I always seem to underestimate myself so I've decided it's time to mix it up a bit. Hopefully I am able to motivate others along the way!

Grades
AS English Literature (Edexcel): A
AS Mathematics (OCR MEI): A
AS Government and Politics (Edexcel): A

GCSEs: 2 A*, 8 A's, 2 B's

I'm *officially* currently taking all 4 subjects into A2, but I am pretty certain I am going to drop English Lit since I don't think I can improve on that grade haha, gotta keep it real. Oh and I'm taking on an EPQ as well which is going to be so much work eek! :s-smilie: I'm going to get ahead of the game and start doing some EPQ reading etc tomorrow at the library.

In terms of uni I'd really like to study a Politics degree, I initially wanted to do Maths but I'm not sure I could enjoy it for 3 years straight :biggrin: I'm really indecisive and so haven't really chosen what unis I want to apply to yet, but at the moment my thoughts are:

Cambridge (A*AA) - (mostly bc of pushy parents, but I know my grades aren't really good enough)
Warwick (AAA)
Exeter (AAA)
Nottingham (AAB)
King's College London (AAA)
Loughborough (ABB) - not sure yet, probs just a safe option
LSE (AAA)

Inserting an inspirational yet slightly cringy study quote, butttttt I need all the motivation I can get.
(edited 7 years ago)
Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Infamous*
Good luck!

Thank you very much! :smile:
Interesting... Goodluck! ^-^
Reply 4
Okay so obviously I didn't keep this up, given that A levels are actually manic and hell-ish. BUT if anyone is actually interested I did manage to achieve A*A*A* - I thought I was being so unrealistic but I can't believe it! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Babs Posh
Okay so obviously I didn't keep this up, given that A levels are actually manic and hell-ish. BUT if anyone is actually interested I did manage to achieve A*A*A* - I thought I was being so unrealistic but I can't believe it! :biggrin:

Well done!!! :biggrin: How did you do in EPQ?
And any tips for history?

ahhh well done on all your hard work paying off, that's such a great accomplishment!! :smile:

So, where are you going?
Reply 8
Original post by dlaws.
Well done!!! :biggrin: How did you do in EPQ?
And any tips for history?

Thank you! :smile: I actually dropped the EPQ in the end, the workload became a bit much and it wouldn't affect the offer of my firm choice (Warwick).

For history, exam technique is absolutely crucial, you've probably heard that a million times but I cannot emphasise it enough. There was one exam where I genuinely thought I was screwed for in terms of own knowledge and the content I needed to remember, and it was a bit lacking, yet I must have turned out fine because I knew if I followed my usual exam technique I had a chance. Look online for any examiner reports that have marked past papers, I did Edexcel and they are really good on this. Find a good answer and print it out - highlight what the report says is good and identify in the mark schemes what is actually required for the top grades. Eg for me it was a criteria, to constantly compare events to something that the question should be judged by.

You've probably gathered this already but there is A LOT of content for history. The way to combat this is to keep up with your notes throughout the year. Write your notes in lesson, go home that day - rewrite them, type them up, write them out in flashcard form and make a mindmap for that lesson to all go into your folder (which you must must have!). When it came to exam periods, I looked back at all this and put events and dates on post-it notes and scattered them round the house such as in the bathroom and on the fridge (a frequent destination for me :tongue:).

Sorry if that's too in depth but I'm happy to help!
Reply 9
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
So, where are you going?

I got into my firm choice Warwick, but I'm going to withdraw and take a year out so I can apply to universities like Oxford etc. I actually want to change course and do PPE rather than Politics, so I will try my best getting an interview and apply to other unis that I like such as UCL and LSE.
Reply 10
Thank you! :smile: I actually dropped the EPQ in the end, the workload became a bit much and it wouldn't affect the offer of my firm choice (Warwick).

For history, exam technique is absolutely crucial, you've probably heard that a million times but I cannot emphasise it enough. There was one exam where I genuinely thought I was screwed for in terms of own knowledge and the content I needed to remember, and it was a bit lacking, yet I must have turned out fine because I knew if I followed my usual exam technique I had a chance. Look online for any examiner reports that have marked past papers, I did Edexcel and they are really good on this. Find a good answer and print it out - highlight what the report says is good and identify in the mark schemes what is actually required for the top grades. Eg for me it was a criteria, to constantly compare events to something that the question should be judged by.

You've probably gathered this already but there is A LOT of content for history. The way to combat this is to keep up with your notes throughout the year. Write your notes in lesson, go home that day - rewrite them, type them up, write them out in flashcard form and make a mindmap for that lesson to all go into your folder (which you must must have!). When it came to exam periods, I looked back at all this and put events and dates on post-it notes and scattered them round the house such as in the bathroom and on the fridge (a frequent destination for me :tongue:).

Sorry if that's too in depth but I'm happy to help!

Not too in depth at all thank you so much! really helped :biggrin:

Congrats!!!

Quick Reply

Latest