The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Advice

I'm going into sixth form in September to study Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Geography. Although my teachers have said due to the new courses it's only A2 levels, so all exams are after 2 years and we can't drop one after a year now.
I try hard in lessons and whilst revising but I'm not amazing at exams or naturally really smart. For my results today I got 1x A* 3x A 5x B, which is okay but could be better!

I know I want to go to university after sixth form even though I have no idea which one or the course.
Basically should I take all 4 of these a levels or drop geography (the one I'm least interested in) and just take 3? Or 3 with an EPQ?

Thank you!
I'm in the same situation as you but I've heard 4 subjects is really rough. I think you should just go through with 4 for now and drop it if you're not interested within the first month. But if you stick with it then you'll have to be prepared for a lot of work. I do other things apart from study so I picked 3 since revision and homework would probably pile up.

Then again I don't even know what sixth form is like so.. lol.
Original post by alyxgower
I'm going into sixth form in September to study Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Geography. Although my teachers have said due to the new courses it's only A2 levels, so all exams are after 2 years and we can't drop one after a year now.
I try hard in lessons and whilst revising but I'm not amazing at exams or naturally really smart. For my results today I got 1x A* 3x A 5x B, which is okay but could be better!

I know I want to go to university after sixth form even though I have no idea which one or the course.
Basically should I take all 4 of these a levels or drop geography (the one I'm least interested in) and just take 3? Or 3 with an EPQ?

Thank you!

It's better to take 3 a levels and an EPQ or just 3 a levels. It's really up to you. An EPQ will give you more of an edge when you are applying for a particular course. It not necessary to take 4 because the more you take the average your grades will be. By taking 3 a levels and an EPQ you will have more time to spend on each of your subjects plus your EPQ as you will have more independent study periods. I had 9 and 7 in yr 12 and did 4 a levels and an EPQ (I had a 2 week timetable). It was quite hard to manage. If you're not really interested in geography then I'd advise you not to take it. A levels require a lot of motivation and passion for a subject so If you're not interested you're not going to work hard for it. Yr 12 is a time when your motivation levels may dip down and so it's better to do subjects that you really want to do and will definitely carry onto A2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Unless you have a very specific reason for doing 4 subjects and love all 4, I'd recommend taking 3, because most courses ask for 3 A levels and the 4th is unlikely to help anywhere near as much as the work load it adds will hinder your other grades. A levels are significantly harder and more work than GCSEs so whilst the idea of going to 3 subjects mag seem like you're not going to do enough, you'll find it is plenty.

Quick Reply

Latest